cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What are other people using for webcams in Conference rooms with the UC520?

sethschmautz
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I'm looking for a webcam that others have been able to successfully integrate with the UC520 for conference room applications.  Our conference room currently has a 7937 phone and a projector, and we may add a connected computer for Webex meetings.  We could possibly integrate a CVT USB camera, but want to know what other people have used.  Thanks,

Seth

8 Replies 8

Hi Seth,

The CUVA camera is the only camera certified for Video Telephony in UC500.

Thanks,

Marcos

Hi Seth,

We could possibly integrate a CVT USB camera, but want to know what other people have used.

Errrr i am going to be as descrete about this as possible.... However...

***DUCKS FOR COVER****

I have personally used either the inbuilt webcamera of the Laptop or the Logitech equivilant to the Cisco version, i wont advise of the model number as i think i have pushed my luck responding to this message

but hey its a fair questions you ask, and one i have done before ;)

The CUVA camera is the only camera certified for Video Telephony in UC500.

Certified being the oeprative word... Nice choice of words i have to add ;)

In all fairness the Cisco Certified one is the best one to use to ensure compatability, especially if you want to avoid embarassment with the client, but if you wish to explore i beleive i have provided enough information for you to look into it :)

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Just to expand on what Marcos has said, the best place to find out what is and isn't supported with the Video Advantage software is the release notes for the software version in question.  In particular, look at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/video/cuva/2_1/english/release/notes/ol15290.html#wp1118706 for details on the camera support.  The short version is that there is limited support for third-party cameras, where the limitation vary depending on the specific model with the details listed in the release notes.  As such, you can use a third party camera, but your support mileage will definitely vary.

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks for the feedback.  Is there an easy way to integrate the CVT camera with the 7937?  My impression and experience is that the computer hosting the CVT camera/CUVA needs to either be cabled through the IP phone or have CIPC installed.  Short of conferencing in a PC with a CVT camera and CIPC, is there any way of taking advantage of the CUVA camera or a third party camera and integrating this with the 7937 for WebEx MeetMeNow meetings or video calls?

I have come across the Polycom CX500 camera/phone which could be integrated with UC500 on an FXS port and a USB connection to a PC, but I'm not certain that there isn't a better option out there.  Thanks for the ideas.  If there are any others out there, please let me know.

Thanks,

Seth

Hi Seth,

I think the CUVA is limited to being connected to the PC which can be connected to the IP Phone switchport or a PC connected to the UC520 Data LAN, which makes your conference room more difficult to manage.

I hear alot of Partners asking if we have a Camera for the UC520 that can be used to display larger (like infocus sized) so people can see each other or make remote demonstrations of a larger area.  Sounds alot like the small Telepresence I know ;-) <--- shameless plug

But today we dont have a 'designated' IP camera as a 'certified, integrated and supported' solution for SBCS.

Do you all think if we had this, you would buy it?   How many copies

Steve DiStefano

SE Field Channel Sales

US Small Business

Steve,

We also get alot of questions about cameras for small conferences. The one-to-one video solution is not a very common option for alot of our customers.. So maybe you guys could discuss the possibilities internally???

Thanks,

Eivind

Hi Steve,

I think that this would be an excellent value add for our business and our customers as well.  As to the number of units that we could purchase per year, I'm unsure.  It would greatly depend on the price point.  A PoE networked version of the CUVAsolution that could be mounted to a wall and could be interfaced with a conference room or other IP phone would be great.

One other thing to consider is that many businesses (small as well as large) are moving toward running Gigabit networks (not very profound).  A decision that we have had a tough time making internally is whether to connect our desktop machines to our Gigabit network, or allow our users to make video calls (via the 10/100 PoE switches).  I don't believe that there are any 10/100/1000 PoE switches available in the UC500 product line.

Curiously, as Cisco has different agreements with Polycom, what are the chances that the CX500 can be rebranded and made to work with CME?  It has both Ethernet and USB functionality.

We have tried two other third party USB webcams here internally and have had no problems to date, but I'd love to have a Cisco-certified conference room solution.  Thanks,

Seth

Hi Steve,

Do you all think if we had this, you would buy it?

I like your question and it is a fair one, but i really have to say it is not the right one :)

It is not a matter of if "WE" would buy it perse, but more so if "THEY" will buy it...  They being the customers, the market, the SOHO/SME clients, the small governments, the schools (Education system), the small retail outlets, the chain stores (Office works Australia).

If you ask a VAR will they buy something, their response (Or i would assume would be) Does the market want it? Is the Market ready for it? Is there enough demand for "US" the Value Added Re-seller to put funds, time and effort into taking the product to market?

I can tell you from my perspective that Cisco do not really have a proper answer for this, yes you have Telepresence and it is an AWESOME product, but hey the majority of us here operate in the small to medium business network, and i know here in Australia where at last stats from the ABS Australia consisted of 83% small businesses, that's only a whopping 17% large corporate market.

I would love to see Cisco have an answer to Ploycom and their Video Conferencing systems that target medium business even small business to some degree, but for now some of us may have to stick to a third party product, saddening really when in our world we live and breath Cisco most days :)

/rant

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: