REAP and H-REAP

Unanswered Question
Jul 15th, 2009
User Badges:

I have a question regarding design and protocol. I have a network consisting of four buildings all connected through a combination of fiber and MPLS. These building need wireless. I would like to implement a solution using one 4402 WLC with LAPs in the buildings. My question regards the REAP and H-REAP protocols. Each building will have servers that the wireless users will need to access. I do not want all the traffic coming over the WAN only to return the way it came. It seems like implementing the LAPs with H-REAP is the solution to my problem. I want to ask the community if this seems correct and also ask anyone to add any other information that may be helpful as I may be missing something.

My concern is unnecessary traffic on the WAN. I want the ease of managing one controller without wasting bandwidth on my WAN. Is there a way to have traffic that is destined for a server that may be local to the LAP not use the WAN? What if the wireless users are on a seperate VLAN/subnet than the servers in the same building?

Please ask any questions if possible. I hope I was clear enough.

Thank you.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Scott Fella Thu, 07/16/2009 - 12:12
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Yes... H-REAP is your answer. With H-REAP as you know, you can traffic egress out of the AP's interface directly into the local LAN just as an autonomous AP would. Only centrally switched SSID's will need to be tunneled back to the WLC, but it is up to you on what you want locally and what you want tunneled back. Traffic will stay local since the wireless device will have a gatway local and routing will not send traffic out the WAN if it is destined for another local subnet.

Actions

This Discussion