Views
Helpful
Replies

How to test point-to-point T1 speed?

donlin123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, All,

Our existing T1 was just replaced by ATT due to its network conversion. The new T1 is much slower than the old one. We had ATT run the test and they told us there was nothing wrong with the new T1.

This is the only thing that was changed in our network. Both Cisco routers' configurations stayed the same and nothing was changed in the LAN too.

I checked serial interface and saw a few input errors (less than 0.3%). This seemed to be normal.

I used Cisco extended Ping test but didn't have any lost packets.

I want to test whether I do get a full T1 bandwidth and latency is tolerable.

I had two Windows servers at both ends.

Do anyone recommend any free tool for Windows that can be used to test point-to-point WAN circuit speed, bandwidth and latency etc.?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

servantude
Level 1
Level 1

For testing link speed I typically do two things. If I have internet access, I goto a speed test website like www.speedtest.net. You can also use a tool like "iperf" which you run on a machine on each end of the link. You run one as a client and one as a host. This will display the usable bandwidth between the two systems. Take a look at iperf.sourceforge.net.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

servantude
Level 1
Level 1

For testing link speed I typically do two things. If I have internet access, I goto a speed test website like www.speedtest.net. You can also use a tool like "iperf" which you run on a machine on each end of the link. You run one as a client and one as a host. This will display the usable bandwidth between the two systems. Take a look at iperf.sourceforge.net.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, more than 0.2% errors is not acceptable. In fact, you want to be well below 0.1 for standard service.

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Unless its some frame relay flavor, You have a T-1. They do not support variable speed.

It could possibly be the physical path (longer than the previous path)

Input errors aren't normal.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card