cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Determining the OID for specific traps

pweinhold
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know how to determine the OID for specific SNMP traps? For example, I configured a switch so that a trap would be sent each time a VLAN is created, using the following config: "snmp-server enable traps vlancreate". But I think we need to configure the OID for that trap on our NMS (Microsoft SCOM), so that it recognizes what the trap is saying when it receives it. So how does one find the OID for a specific trap? How can I find the OID for the "vlancreate" trap that I configured on our switch?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

vlancreate is vtpVlanCreated with oid

"A vtpVlanCreated notification is generated by a

device when a VLAN is created. "

So how does one find that out? If I have other SNMP traps that I want to find out the OID for, where do I look? I've tried Google and I've had no luck.

And how do we navigate it on the switch itself? For example, I enter a command like this: "show snmp mib | be vtpVlan"

and I see lots of different entries like "vtpVlanEntry.8" or "vlanInfo.2.2.1.1", but nothing that says anything about" VlanCreated".

Thanks again.

You can use the SNMP object navigator:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseOID.do?local=en

You can search for mibs there, look at the OIDs inside the mibs

Also, check the capability file according the platforms, to see if the mib you want to use is ported on the device you want to poll:

ftp://ftp-sj.cisco.com/pub/mibs/supportlists/