Views
Helpful
Replies

DIRT Restore question

jessakhanian
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We had installed a Unity 5.0.1 system in UM mode (Ex2K7) without Failover, but had to re-install the server due to hardware problems (the server got changed) and also changing the design to include failover (which means SQL will now be installed instead of MSDE).

Very minimal configuration was performed on the server before it was re-installed, but we did a DIRT backup. The question is: Can we use DIRT to restore the few subscribers and call handlers that we had in the old system? Again, the version is the same, but we have gone to failover, which I belive the SQL is the main difference.

Does anyone know if this would work, or at least safe to attempt? I don't care about the subscribers as we can import them again, but would rather not re-do the call handlers if I can avoid it.

Thanks,

Joseph

6 Replies 6

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Shouldn't be a problem - DiRT uses the standard SQLDMO libraries to restore the DB tables which work the same on MSDE vs full SQL. You'll want to restore it running Unity as a single server and then setup the failover after you've restored it - DiRT does complete table replacements which whacks the replication ids and such out. But other than that you shouldn't have a problem.

Thanks Jeff. I just want to clarify your comment "You'll want to restore it running Unity as a single server". Should we still check the "Failover" option at the beginning of CUSPA? I assume we do this and install the Primary server, do the DIRT restore, and then start the installation of the Failover server. I hope I understood you correctly.

If not, can we do a non-failover install (the check mark at CUSPA for Failover isn't checked), and then change it to a Failover mode? I have never attempted this.

Thanks.

Yes, enabling the check box "Primary or Secondary server in a Failover configuration" or choosing > 32 voice ports simply determines if SQL 2000 or MSDE 2000 gets installed on the server.

SQL 2000 is required for servers running failover or if they have > 32 voice ports.

Thanks Chris. I understand what gets installed in which scenario, but just wanted to confirm if the DIRT Restore would work if we change it to Failover after the re-install. I think Jeff said it would work, but I was concerned about one of his comments (see my response to his post).

Thanks.

Yes, you "should" still check the "Failover" option at the beginning of CUSPA when building Unity as a single server.

Yes, do the above, and install the Primary server, do the DIRT restore, and then start the installation of the Failover server.

Perfect. That's what I'm doing as we speak. The server should be up and running later this afternoon and that's when I'll do the restore. The Failover server will be installed after that.

Thanks for your (and Jeff's) help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: