cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wifi systems Psion Teklogix with Cisco.

severi
Level 1
Level 1

A customer has a wifi system with Psion Teklogix AP. He wants to expand the coverage by adding a couple of AP autonomuos mode cisco and asks me if the roaming works correctly.

The security is WEB128.

I think that there are no problems.

What do you think?

Regards.

MirkoS.

4 Replies 4

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Since 128-bit WEP is standards-based, there will be no trouble as long as the Psion APs are WiFi-compliant, which they should be. Roaming will work fine as long as the SSIDs and the WEP keys are the same on all APs.

You might want to advise your customer to consider upgrading to WPA2-PSK, which is very similar to WEP but far more secure. He might be unable to upgrade if he has legacy clients that aren't capable of WPA, but if there's nothing holding him back then I would definitely consider moving that direction. That's assuming the Psion APs are new enough that they can handle it.

Jeff

Jeff.

If the security is a WPA with TKIP, there is a problem in roaming phase?

Regards.

MirkoS.

Hi MirkoS,

Sorry for being confusing. As long as you're using the same security on an SSID on each AP, your roaming will work fine. WiFi includes standards-based security which will allow roaming to occur between different vendor equipment.

So WEP128, WPA-TKIP, and WPA-AES will all work fine as long as each AP is configured the same.

Ok, jeff.

Thank a lot.

MirkoS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card