cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LLQ: Priotity-Queue for VoIP, higher than 33% ?

rnolden
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to increase the LLQ Priortiy-Queue for VoIP higher than 33% (best practice?) of the total bandwith ?

Bandwith(AR): 1Mbit, 2Mbit, 4Mbit

WAN-Link: G.703 or G.SHDSL or 10/100/1000 Ethernet

HW: 1841/2821/38xx/7201

any URL on CCO ?

any expirience ?

Thanks for any comment !

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Ralf,

it is possible for example for protection: we did so for a mobile provider to allows voip to have resources in case the parallel link fails: that is in normal conditions we had half on each link.

Actually we were using faster links 45 Mbps or 155 Mbps.

Be aware that LLQ and CBWFQ has elastic behavior and not used resources are used by other traffic classes

Hope to help

Giuseppe

there is only one active WAN-Link

so this scenario isn't possible !

can i increase the PQ for VoIP above 33% ?

until which value ?

Hello Ralf,

>> can i increase the PQ for VoIP above 33% ?

until which value ?

Until other traffic classes don't suffer starvation.

As I wrote for the elasticity of CBWFQ with LLQ when VoIP traffic is less then provisioned percentage resources are left to the other traffic classes.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

"there is only one active WAN-Link

so this scenario isn't possible ! "

Why do you think that?

"Is it possible to increase the LLQ Priortiy-Queue for VoIP higher than 33% (best practice?) of the total bandwith ?"

Yes, it is.

"any URL on CCO ? "

To tell you what?

The TelePresence Design Guide, has a section, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Video/tpqos.html#wp1050044, that discusses Cisco's "33% LLQ Rule" recommendation.

"any expirience ? "

Yes, I have quite a bit. Cookbook recommendations for X% don't often optimally satisfy real traffic QoS needs. I've used more and used less LLQ bandwidth %. What's important with QoS is the combination of using bandwidth management and bandwidth provisioning to meet service requirements.

"can i increase the PQ for VoIP above 33% ?

until which value ?"

Not sure I understand the question. If you're asking about PQ, each class preempts all lower classes. If you placed VoIP into the highest class, you've effectively guaranteed such traffic 100%.

[edit]

If you meant LLQ, not PQ, you could set it to whatever the platform supports for its CBWFQ. Without checking, and using max reserved bandwidth, I assume you might be able to configure LLQ to 99 or 100%. Further assuming you can, does this make sense? It might, again depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: