cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Capacity Planning for Cisco Devices

danigoulart
Level 1
Level 1

I need to measure the current capacity on my Cisco devices in order to plan future required capacity based on the historical data and growth projection.

So checking Cisco documentation in regards to the capacity planning subject, this documentation indicates CPU, Backplane or I/O, Memory and buffers, Interface and pipe sizes, Queuing, latency, and jitter and Speed and distance important items/parameters to be measured.

Unfortunately I'm currently using only CPU, Memory and buffers and Interface and pipe sizes to define the growth projection for my Cisco devices because I really don't know how to measure Backplane or I/O, Queuing, latency, and jitter and Speed and distance to incorporate these Cisco recommended items to my existing capacity planning model.

So I'm looking for some help in order to be prepared for measuring all required/important items to plan the Cisco devices capacity in the feature without missing any important item/parameter.

2 Replies 2

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Check this link for documents regarding Cisco devices performance http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/tools/quickreference/index.html

Thank you for the attention and help.

How do I collect the device data to compare with the PPS rating indicated on the documents you provided?

Should I get the PPS numbers on each interface and then sum up all of them to compare with the PPS rating?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: