I am TOTALLY incompetent in setting up wireless connections. I have a ADSL 512k connection via a Linksys WAG 300N modem router on the ground floor and it is linked by an ethernet cable to a WAP 4400N on the first floor.
Recently the internet connection on the first floor has started to become erratic.
Hence my questions
- how do I correct the problem?
- If I try a reset, how long do I have to push the button?
- could it be that the access point needs an update of its firmware? How do I check which firmware is currently operating? I suppose that I have to connect my laptop to the WAP and then type some url like 192.168.1.1. ????
- How do I activate the Power over Ethernet facility? So far I have always used a power cable.
- the helpline number here in Dubai which links to an operator in India is unable to help becuase this WAP is a business device....
1. The WAP4400n needs to be physically connected to the main router (WAG300N). Make sure the Gateway and Primary DNS on the WAP4400n is pointing to the WAG300N (192.168.1.1) and set the wireless tab with a SSID differently from any wireless devices, but can use the same security mode and password.
2. To hard reset the WAP4400n you will need to hold the reset switch for 30 seconds and it will factory default to the 192.168.1.245 state with the default user name/password admin/admin
3. The WAP4400n should have the latest firmware if you have just purchase it. this is located in the WAP web interface under the Status Tab "Software Version" This is accomplished by typing in the address bar: 192.168.1.245. If you need to update latest firmware, you can find it at our CISCO website www.cisco.com/smb. The firmware for that unit should have the v1.2.14.
4. The PoE or Power over Ethernet is only used to power the WAP4400n device, this does not supply power to other devices that require PoE.
5. The helpline for your WAP4400n is in Saudi Arabia telephone# 800 844 5849.
I hope the above information is helpful