cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA901 recovery?

kissman1986
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i have over 100 SPA901 phones in hotel and two of them now blinking SOS recovery. Where I can find recovery utility with firmware and simple how-to recover firmware in SPA901? Thanks.

8 Replies 8

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi kissman1986,

Here is the SPA901 recovery utility. You will need the device's serial number to insert into the utility.

Instructions for use:

1. Unzip the utility
  2. Run the utility on computer on same LAN as SPA901 [disable firewall on computer]
  3. Click Recover Firmware
  4. Provide SPA901 serial number
  5. Click Continue

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

thx a lot... but when I want recover, I run the utility, type SN and click Recover... utils start recover and recovery app is imediately closed...

I tried on second PC and works fine, but cannot find device. How can I determine phone IP for setting? Now I have booth connected to the DHCP and not working...

Hi kissman1986,

Hmm, this is weird. Try run it as administrator on the first computer. Watch for firewalls and so on...

Determine the IP address as follows:

1. pickup handset [you will not hear anything / dead air]
  2. dial **** [4 stars / asterisks]
  3. you'll hear the IVR playing the configuration menu greeting
  4. dial 110 # and the IP address will be announced

Refer to this doc for additional IVR information: https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-8195

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

You may find the SPA9x2 phone admin guide to be useful too: https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-2148

The SPA9x1 phones are very similar to SPA9x2, except for some features, but you'll find useful info in the 9x2 admin guide.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

I was tried IVR first when I cannot recover the firmware but IVR not working... nothing after **** :( no greeting

Sorry, I mis-read your response and thought you were successful recovering the SPA901 with the second computer.

The SPA901 will not pick up an IP address until it boots, which it will not do until its firmware has been recovered. :-(

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

ok, than... my step-by-step is correct?

1. connected bad SPA to the router

2. connected PC to the router

3. router is configured for DHCP

4. run recovery on PC

5. type SN and click Continue

6. in ideal world - phone will be recovered?

6. in my world - phone not be found by recovery util

Hi kissman1986,

Your steps are okay, but would be better if you also do the following, added to your steps in red:

1. connected bad SPA to the router a hub so that we do not need to be concerned about routing or VLAN problems

2. connected PC to the router a hub so that we do not need to be concerned about routing or VLAN problems

3. router is configured for DHCP

3.a Verify that the PC has acquired an IP address in the expected range from the DHCP server

3.b Supply power to the SPA901

3.c Lift handset and press **** listen for IVR, try **** again after 30 seconds [If you hear IVR, this is good...]

3.d If no IVR, look on DHCP server for MAC address of SPA901, has it acquired an IP address? [If so, this is good, use web-ui to access]

3.e If no MAC address on DHCP server, run wireshark on computer and power cycle the SPA901, do you see traffic from the SPA901 when it powers on? You should see DHCP DISCOVER

4. If above fails, run recovery on a different PC with no firewall enabled [When Windows offers to block recovery from running, click Always allow]

5. type SN and click Continue [watch network with Wireshark, do you see any traffic on the LAN from the PC? Do you see traffic from the SPA901 in response?]

6. in ideal world - phone will be recovered? Yes, the utility will restore a recoverable SPA901

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: