Views
Helpful
Replies

Symmetric Internet Circuit

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi experts,

we have a symmetric internet line that has a rate of 20 meg. i've tested our line using speedtest.com. see attached. could someone enlighten me why the download and upload speeds are different even though it's said to be symmetric? is there a latency, application or server considerations?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your link may have a symmetric bandwidth but the server you selected may NOT have a symmetric bandwidth. The problem could be in the network of the server you selected. Try another server and make sure its nearer to you.

This happens all the time. Do take note that internet does not guarantee the bandwidth end-to-end.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your link may have a symmetric bandwidth but the server you selected may NOT have a symmetric bandwidth. The problem could be in the network of the server you selected. Try another server and make sure its nearer to you.

This happens all the time. Do take note that internet does not guarantee the bandwidth end-to-end.

thanks medan! i believe your from singapore? :)

Yup, are you testing it from Singapore and you choose the Singapore server? Try KL, Malaysia server

The Singapore server of speedtest.net have problem in upload :)

cool! wasn't able to watch your harry potter movie screening last friday :D

i've tried singapore, malaysia and indonesia server on speedtest.net and got different download/upload speeds.

Harry Potter screening? You mean in NCS or NCS gives you a free ticket?

got a ticket from NCS but i had other plans that night. were you there?

nope. I don't have ticket :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco