Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3750 stacking issue

jorg.ramakers
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Our client has 2 cisco 3750 switches stacked together and we are seeing strange issues when configuring the switches. When i configure 2 ports on the lefthandside of our switch ex. port 1/0/1 and 2/0/1 my channel is working. When I copy the same config to ports on the righthandside of the switch, the config is not working.

When troubleshooting this issue, it seems that the stacking switches doesn't see each other.

The configs are different in both switches. I have 2 questions

1. Should the config in both switch be equal?

2. When 2nd switch is not seeing the first one, is this normal (sleeping mode) or what could be the reason? stack cable broken, stack ports broken or switch broken?

Best regards

Jorg

RWVK-BB1#sh switch detail

Current

Switch# Role Mac Address Priority State

--------------------------------------------------------

*1 Master 0019.e71e.ee00 1 Ready

2 Member 0019.aafc.6300 1 Ready

Stack Port Status Neighbors

Switch# Port 1 Port 2 Port 1 Port 2

1 Ok Ok 2 2

2 Ok Ok 1 1

RWVK-BB1#session 2

RWVK-BB1-2#sh switch det

RWVK-BB1-2#sh switch detail

Current

Switch# Role Mac Address Priority State

1 Master 0019.e71e.ee00 1 Ready

*2 Member 0019.aafc.6300 1 Ready

Stack Port Status Neighbors

Switch# Port 1 Port 2 Port 1 Port 2

7 Replies 7

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1. Yes, always

2. Not seeing each other is not normal. Could be a number of things. If you are experiencing this turn on logging, it should give you some info on what the problem is or it's good info to give to TAC.

Hope that helps.

Hi Collin,

Thanks a lot!

I asked to do a sh tech on both switches

The problem is, I can't log a ticket with Cisco TAC as our customer didn't buy a smartnet for these.

Thanks!

Best regards

Jorg

Hi,

I did some troubleshooting on that document, no problems with the stack ports. Both stackports on both switches are seen to be UP.

Still the config on the other node is not syncronised.

Best regards

Jorg

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"1. Should the config in both switch be equal? "

Actually, properly stacked, the switches appear as one logical switch with just one configuration.

"2. When 2nd switch is not seeing the first one, is this normal (sleeping mode) or what could be the reason? stack cable broken, stack ports broken or switch broken? "

No it's not as it should be, but there are many possible issues. Some kind of hardware problem, as you note, or perhaps a mismatch in installed IOS software between the switches (normally should be same version), or possibly how the switches are configured ("provisioned") before they are stacked.

However, from your show commands, it appears the two switches do stack and from your description, the stack then partitions. This too isn't normal.

Assuming this isn't a hardware issue (and if it is, even without maintenance, I believe there's a lifetime hardware guarantee), might it then be a software (IOS) issue? What IOS are you running? It might be worthwhile, if running one of the early IOS versions to update the software (also believe, again without maintenance, you're entitled to software upgrades on this series of switches).

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you are trying to look at a second switch and it is not the stackmaster I don't think you are going to see the full config , it may show you very limited info if its not the master. If you see the config on the master and it shows all the ports for both switches it is working properly most likely . Your stacking info looks correct so if you log into switch 1 you should see all the config info for both switches .

You can access specific members by using the session stack-member-number privileged EXEC command. The member number is appended to the system prompt. For example, the prompt for member 2 is Switch-2#, and system prompt for the master is Switch#. Enter exit to return to the CLI session on the master. Only the show and debug commands are available on a specific member.

mbroberson1
Level 3
Level 3

I would make sure both physical switches are running the same IOS and that there aren't any strange bugs. Just my 2 cents.

-Brandon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco