cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aironet SNMP Monitoring in CiscoWorks

mattoxm.psrc
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to figure out a way to make it so that my CiscoWorks will monitor snmp of my Aironet AP's. Problem is that AP's are controlled by 4400 Controllers and while I can get the necessary SNMP Strings onto the AP manually and get them into CiscoWorks and monitoring, once they reboot the strings are gone.

From everything I have read, there is not a way to configure snmp strings on the controllers to be pulled by the ap's on reboot. Anyone know of a way to fix this?

11 Replies 11

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Correct. LWAPs which are managed by WLC cannot be managed by LMS. Instead, you should use WCS to manage the WLC and the associated APs. LMS can only manager standalone APs running IOS or VxWorks.

Thanks. Do you know if there are plans in the future to allow this? It's really strange that I can add the strings. Just not in the 4400 Controller.

No, there are no plans to add LWAP support to LMS. The problem is as you have seen: the LWAPs cannot be made SNMP-accessible.

Does this apply for Cisco IP phones as well?

Yes, IP phones are not SNMP accessible, and thus cannot be managed by LMS. Instead, LMS uses data from associated Call Managers to add phone details to the User Tracking application.

Then how about get with the 4400 Controller Design team and get them to add it. LOL

This is unlikely to happen given that WCS is already available to manage such wireless networks. LMS doesn't have all of the necessary features to provide the same level of wireless management that WCS/WLC possess. While you can do config and software management with LMS, the wireless domain services, location management, etc. are not available.

Ah but the point is that I have over 600 AP's to keep track of and over 2000 switches. It would be nice to have 1 console to be able to look at and see if a device is up or down. Not 1 for switches and another for AP's

Something we have done internally is to add the WLC web interface as an iframe portlet in the LMS portal. It's far from perfect, but it at least it gives you a single console the see both applications.

Thanks. Do you know if there are plans in the future to allow this? It's really strange that I can add the strings. Just not in the 4400 Controller.

I know of no plans to allow this in the controller.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco