Views
Helpful
Replies

SITE to SITE Tunnel with FQDN

CCDECCDE9
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I want LAN to LAN tunnel between ASA and 1800 with FQDN i.e peer=ccde.vpn.com for 1800 and support.vpn.com for ASA rather than using peer ip addresses in 'set peer .. ".Is this possible to use FQDN for tunnel peers ratehr than ip addresses ?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes it's possible but there are a couple of caveats. The name must be resolvable and the ASA can not use DNS so you will need to use a static name command (kind of defeats the purpose of using a name). Other than set set the peer to the name instead of the IP. You will also have to set the identity to hostname under your isakmp profile.

Hope that helps.

Hi Collin

i am looking for the name to be resolved over an internet if my peer is your router at your location then I have to put colin.vpn.com and I have no clue what ip it has and it is possible they may change the ip from time to time...so static name command doesn't really help

I agree, but that's the only way an ASA can resolve names (that I know of).

I just ran across something-

dns domain-lookup inside

dns server-group DefaultDNS

name-server 10.101.1.50

name-server 10.101.1.53

domain-name mylocal.lan

Looks like it can do DNS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card