Helpful
Replies

Forwarding Data - Is this possible

r.blanchard
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Have a configuration issue:

I have a device on a LAN that Gathers data and then forwards that data to another IP address on the same subnet. It is custom software that is hard-coded with the destination address, the source address and destination address cannot be modified or changed. The problem that I have now is that the data needs to be sent to another device on another network - but connected via routers (which can be configured with NAT).

What I was thinking of was like an IP Helper-Address type of solution, except that the router would act as the destination Address but then forward the data to the destination address, as it would a DHCP request. Is there a configuration command that could accomplish this?

Any assist would be appreciated

8 Replies 8

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As you stated you would want to use NAT or have the developers fix their program ;-)

The router would simply translate 192.168.1.5 (original IP) to 10.10.90.5 (new IP).

Hope that helps.

That I agree, the issue that I am having is that the device that transfers the data, sends it to an IP address on the same subnet, so IP 192.168.1.5 would send that data to 192.168.1.105. It would not hit the router, so if I could have the router pretend that it was 192.168.1.105 and then forward it to the 10.10.90.5 that would solve the problem.

The only way I can think of to do that would be to add a secondary IP on your router and NAT to the new destination. I've never done that so I'm not 100% sure you can. Other than that, the developers will have to fix the app.

Hi Robert,

This is an interesting requirement from you.

On simple solution could be to split the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet to sub-subnets.

For example:

192.168.1.0/26 - 192.168.1.5 would be part of this subnet

192.168.1.64/26 - 192.168.1.105 would be part of this subnet.

You could configure these 2 subnets on different interfaces of the router.

In this case the router would proxy-arp for the 192.168.1.105 address and forward the packet to its other interface.

If you wanted to forward this packet to somewhere else, you could configure policy routing.

Cheers:

Istvan

Istvan,

As with the IP address I am unable to change the mask as well, I was wondering if Cisco had a hidded command that could have helped - as in the secondary address suggestion, and then a Forward-Protocol or ACL type of command to pass the data to the NAT address at the distant end.

Tks. for the suggestion tho.

Rob

Hi Rob,

There is the need to change the mask on the router only.

But if you have so many hosts on the 192.168.1.0/24 network that you can't break it up into subnets, then I understand your point.

Istvan

cpubob
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds like a job for ncat.

Check this out.

http://nmap.org/ncat/guide/ncat-broker.html

You might need a pc or two but it can be done.

Thank you all for your suggestions, going to check out using a GRE tunnel beween the networks, with destination device with NAT.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card