cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.2 - ANIServer Running with busy flag set

david.fernandes
Level 1
Level 1

Have LMS 3.2 running on a Windows 2003 Server Enterprise box. I'm having issues with Campus Manager where the ANIServer has either failed to start or more recently is now running with the busy flag set:

ANIServer Running with busy flag set 7408 0 0 7/20/2009 2:05:17 PM Not applicable

Not sure what's the next step to take. I have tried rebooting which didn't help and have also stopped and started the Daemon Manager.

The last stop/start has the ANIServer running with the busy flag set, but I still can't open up the Home page of Campus Manager, run user tracking reports, or open up Toplogy Services. Below is the error message I get:

Cannot connect to ANIServer:...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Then I'm betting the problem is a corrupt database. The database might be hitting a bad page, and dying. Can you try reinitializing the ANI database, and see if the engine stays running? The command is:

NMSROOT/bin/perl NMSROOT/bin/dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=ani dmprefix=ANI

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you've stopped and started ANIServer by itself, restart Daemon Manager, wait 30 minutes, reproduce the problem, then port the ani.log and ANIServer.log.

Hmm. Was just about to do that when I noticed that there was a Data Execution Prevention message from the Windows 2003 Server which had shutdown the SQL Anywhere Network Server service. Never had this happen before, but maybe this was related to an OS update I did this morning.

Anyway, I've added it to the exclude list. I'll give a heads up if this worked or not.

Here's a screenshot of where I set that for reference.

Actually, this is not sufficient. We typically recommend you set DEP for essential Windows programs and services only, then reboot.

Thanks. Wasn't sure on that. I've set it back. I'll post up those logs in a bit.

I have re-produced the problem. Attached are the ani.log and ANIServer.log files.

There are no errors here. How many jobs do you have on the system under Common Services > Server > Admin > Job Browser?

21 active jobs (that are to be scheduled to run).

2836 job records in total (inclusive of active jobs).

I have rebooted the server again and I can get into Topology Services now and open the Home page.

I am getting the following error in trying to run a User Tracking Report:

Application error: JZ006: Caught IOException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect.

Also, although I can click Start Data Collection in the Campus Manager Home page, I don't see it as running. However, when I open Topology Services, I can see the data collection is running (as opposed to being idle).

This error indicates that the ANIDbEngine is not running. Post the new pdshow command output as well as the new ani.log and Cmapps.log.

Thanks. See attached.

Something seems to be horribly wrong with your installation. Post the output of netstat -a -n -o -b from this server.

See attached.

Okay, the ANIDbEngine has crashed silently. If DEP is still killing it, then something is wrong with your DEP settings. Make sure you have the radio button, "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only", and that you have rebooted after setting that radio button. Also, if you have on-access anti-virus scanning running, make sure it is disabled for NMSROOT.

If DEP is not killing this process, then something else is. Check the Windows Event Viewer and the console of the server for clues.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: