taking CCNA but no real work experience

Unanswered Question
Jul 20th, 2009

Hello..

I am hoping you can help me. I am actively preparing to take the CCNA exam in aug 09. I am also due to obtain my Bachelors in Data Comm in Dec. However, I do not have any real work experience in the IT field. I only worked in a support center for software applications for 2 years. I am not sure what positions I will be qualified for after i have passed the CCNA. any advice? How much does it cost to take the CCNA Security or Voice Cert?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
routerguy666 Sat, 07/25/2009 - 16:04

CCNA/CCNP are so easy to get via dumps that their face value is seriously degraded. We put people in front of gear to see if they are capable of configuring the technologies they are certified in. Only then do the certs have any value (to us). For CCNA certs, the interview process would be more of general q&a to see if you really know the fundamentals that the cert tests on.

Assuming the candidate does indeed possess the skills, you'd be a junior level engineer performing basic equipment configurations and first-level troubleshooting of customer issues in r/s, sec or voice depending on your cert. How the economy has impacted the availability of entry-level positions like that I don't know, but assuming they still exist (and are of interest to you) rest assured there is a place in most Cisco partners/consulting firms for CCNA level engineers. Not all projects/tasks can be billed out at the rates that come along with senior engineers, so a CCNA level engineer who has a good grasp of the basics and a desire to excel is a desirable addition to the team.

Exam costs and other logistical info is available at cisco.com.

attbis_082 Sat, 07/25/2009 - 17:20

"CCNA/CCNP are so easy to get via dumps that their face value is seriously degraded"

I couldnt disagree with this post more. You cant just memorize a bunch of dumps and pass an exam you have to really know waht your doing. For the young guy he just needs to get a job in a help desk support role get some more work experience, at the same time keep working on more certifications, then eventually youll have more hands on exp and then with your credentials by the time your about 30 youll be in great shape. to say the value of CCNA/CCNP is degraded is complete nonsense

routerguy666 Sat, 07/25/2009 - 18:00

Umm, the questions and answers are readily available from testking, pass4sure, and who knows what other sources. This is well known. So yes it is possible to memorize the dumps and pass the exams. This degrades the face value of the certs, as you can only ascertain whether or not the certified engineer actually knows the material by putting them in front of equipment like I said.

lyranvolcrane Mon, 07/27/2009 - 07:38

I would disagree, and agree with your assertion.

Yes there are a few sites out there with some of the questions already posted in their prep material. I was fortunate that my company sent me to ICND 2 training to assist me in completing the ICND 2 test, through reinforcement of concepts I was already using at work, and through further exercise in the material I had already read through at least three times before in the ICND2 exam guide.

As someone who has passed the CCNA (INTRO, then ICND 1 and 2) the tests have become a bit harder and are far less theory and a bit more actual hands on oriented. So I don't think the diploma/certification mills are going to make it hugely easier for an individual to pass, because as always it is based on the individual's motivation to learn the content and try to pass the exam.

Honestly, any and every bit of simulation and actual lab experience you can get on the equipment will help you loads in the process to getting your CCNA. But without hands on the routing and switching equipment, it will certainly become a daunting task to pass, provided that some third party has not handed every scenario of the test in advance.

Good luck on your CCNA!

marioderosa2008 Mon, 07/27/2009 - 08:36

Hi mate,

i passed my CCNA a year ago and since then, i have not been able to get in to a Junior Cisco Networking role.

Most of the roles I see out there are starting at around 25k but you need at least 2 years experience. Right now, I am a systems engineer working mainly with Windows and HP networking environments looking to get in to a cisco solutions provider as a networking junior as routing, switching and security interests me.

Your CCNA will definately help you gain a helpdesk / tech support role. Try and get it at a company that actually is a partner of some sort with Cisco and where the customers have cisco kit.

Once you have done that, you will always have the opportunity of progressing internaly.

Right now... I am getting ready to splash out on my CCNP. That should definately help me get a good job in Cisco Networking.

I prefer classroom qualifications as i like the near 1 to 1 tuition and the hands on experience with cisco kit.

Also helps if you live in a city with loads more opportunities.

Hope that helps.

Mario

Actions

This Discussion