cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade UCM 6.1 to 7.1 on new hardware

UCcomp2007
Level 2
Level 2

If I am upgrading from UCM 6.1 to UCM 7.1 on new hardware, and the hardware is "one step up" from a server perspective, will I have issues?

Today pub/sub on 7835's, new cluster will have 7845's. Can this be done via first loading new 7845 (pub/sub) with 6.1, then restoring backup of 6.1 we took onto new pub, then upgrading to 7.1?

We have 30 gateways and a large dial-plan, so we do not want to have to configure from scratch.

thank you

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Daniel,

Long time my friend, hope all is well with you (80 degrees in Calgary yesterday!)

You are most correct with your thinking here. The DRF backup/restore must be on the exact same version so this will be a two step process. The steps are nicely listed here (don't forget the Licensing aspect :);

Replacing the Publisher Node

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/6_1_1/cluster/clstr611.html#wp87717

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It HAS to be done the way you plan, you cannot restore info on different versions.

You install same exact version on new HW, restore the backup, make sure everything runs fine and then upgrade to 7.X

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Daniel,

Long time my friend, hope all is well with you (80 degrees in Calgary yesterday!)

You are most correct with your thinking here. The DRF backup/restore must be on the exact same version so this will be a two step process. The steps are nicely listed here (don't forget the Licensing aspect :);

Replacing the Publisher Node

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/6_1_1/cluster/clstr611.html#wp87717

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hey Rob. I hope all is well with you my friend. Thanks for quick response. I'll take your 80 degrees in Calgary any day over this humidity in Florida this time of year lol. But I'll also take our 70 degrees in December over your minus 20 below:)

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It HAS to be done the way you plan, you cannot restore info on different versions.

You install same exact version on new HW, restore the backup, make sure everything runs fine and then upgrade to 7.X

HTH

java

HTH

java

Just to validate, as long as I do the way specified, there are no issues with the fact that new hardware will be on "higher" MCS servers? I.e. on new 7845's when existing pub/sub are on 7835's.

Thanks again to both.

No, as long as it's a supported platform and it does allow you to handle the amount of phones you have (meaning trying to load a config from 5000 phones on a 7915 would definitely be a bad idea) you can install and restore the config from the old servers into the new ones, just as Rob said, make sure to rehost the licenses to the new servers.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Hi Daniel,

Come on buddy -30 ain't that bad ;-) My wife was in the south a few years back and the humidity almost killed her so I feel your pain!

Like our friend Java nicely noted, the move from 7835's to 7845's should not cause any issues here. The nice thing about using new boxes is that it gives you a great opportunity to perfect the build b4 going live. Great plan!

Cheers from Calgary!

Rob

A while ago I know

Jumping in the middle here, I`m also need to do the same HW upgrade but not SW upgrade. From the thread I understand that I need to do a DRS to a back up server, send the License files to Cisco to change the MAC address association and then do a recovery to the new HW i.e copy the "old" SW to the new HW`s

We are upgrading all our servers form 7835 to 7845

Does the DRS File contain any info regarding the MAC address, Hostname , IP address of where the original back up back came from?

My thinking is as follows

Install the new Cluster with the same CUCM SW- new IP Address

Run test phones on the new cluster- ICT if need be to Production

Send the license files to Cisco to modified the MAC address

Cut over

Shut down the production Cluster

Use the same IP address and Host name from the production cluster to the new HW cluster- CUCM 6.1.2.XXXX

install license files

Copy the DRS file the new cluster

Will this work ?

Hi IPT,

You didn't mention the CUCM version, so I would be careful of this note;

Prior to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 6.1(2), you cannot change the host name of either the publisher node or subscriber node after it is installed. If you must apply a new host name to a server, you can delete the server from Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration (System > Server) and then reinstall the server with a new hostname. Also, be aware that a DRS backup that you take from a server with a particular hostname cannot be restored on a server (either a publisher or subscriber node) with a different hostname, even after you reinstall that node.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/6_1_1/ipchange/ipchg611.html

Cheers!

Rob

Edit: I just saw that you did mention your version ...sorry! You may be okay. If it were me I would build this in an isolated Network and use the same IP's and Hostname right off the bat.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: