Views
Helpful
Replies

Command to find out supervisor card being used

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Can someone please tell me how to find out the supervisor card being used in a switch?

Thanks

Dan

5 Replies 5

kishan1984
Level 1
Level 1

sh module,if u have redundant sup it will show standby infromt of it.

Hi

I have a 6500 and it shows nothing when I run a "show module"?

Any thoughts?

The os is CATOS:

IOS (tm) MSFC2 Software (C6MSFC2-PSV-M), Version 12.1(22)E1, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Thanks

Dan

Hello Dan,

in hybrid mode

sh module has to be done from L2 supervisor

do sh cdp n det

from msfc (you are on the routing module that is a separate entity in hybrid mode)

your only CDP neighbor is the sup

and then connect to the supervisor

hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Guiseppe,

Thanks very much for that. I'm realtively new to the 6500 switches. Can you please point me to somewhere that explains why the routing module is separate from the switch.

Also when I telnet to the switch does that mean I am connecting to the supervisor card?

Additionally I assume you can change supervisor cards easily. If I do change my card where is my config stored, will I lose that? Also how do I know if the backup supervisor card has had the running-config written to it, that is if the cofig is actually stored on supervisor cards?

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Hello Dan,

historically when Cisco bought Catalyst company C6500 and C5500 were L2 only switches and later routing modules have been added.

First approach was Hybrid mode with routing module using an internal high capacity trunk named 15/1.

When you telnet to L2 supervisor you connect to supervisor card.

>> If I do change my card where is my config stored, will I lose that?

the config is saved in NVRAM on the module.

In hybrid mode there is a L2 configuration under CatOS and a L3 configuration in the MSFC.

Commands to check redundancy

sh mls

sh module

sh redundancy

on l2 supervisors

sh module will show one sup as in standby mode.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card