cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505/SSH Times out

shoemakerjoel
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASA 5505 that is causing me some issues. I set up ssh on the ASA and had it working. I then shipped it to the customer and the ssh no longer works. I have SSH wide open right now. I have also zeriozed the key and regenerated the key and nothing seems to work. Any suggestions? Also, I just decided to try to telnet and that does not work either. Thanks for your help in advance.

7 Replies 7

rob.stoop
Level 1
Level 1

Do you get a hit on your outside ACL? Do you even get a response or nothing?

Don't forget to use "outside"

ssh xx.xx.xx.xx 255.255.255.255 outside

I have basically this.

ssh 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 outside

I don't even see it hit the outside interface which is weird because I can get ASDM to work.

I have basically this.

ssh 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 outside

I don't even see it hit the outside interface which is weird because I can get ASDM to work.

don't forget to check the logging with asdm when you connect to your device.

dschuckman1
Level 1
Level 1

The next thing I would look at is are you accessing the ASA from inside or outside and have you added the corresponding SSH permit statements?

So if you are trying to connect to the outside interface and you are comming from X.X.X.X you would need the statement:

ssh X.X.X.X 255.255.255.255 outside

Make the subnet mask equivalent to whatever IP range you will be coming from... If you will always come from a single address use the 255.255.255.255 if you know you will come from a /29 network use the 255.255.255.248 and so on.

Have a good Day!

David

Kevin Redmon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This sounds like an upstream issue if you do not see any evidence that it reaches the ASA. Some ISPs and/or network administrators will block network management protocols such as Telnet and SSH due to the damage that they can cause by malicious users. It is difficult and impractical to block the HTTPS used for ASDM.

You can configure packet captures on the outside interface of the ASA in question specifically for the host IP trying to SSH. For instance, consider the following capture syntax:

access-list TAC extended permit tcp host host eq 22

access-list TAC extended permit tcp host eq 22 host

cap capout int outside packet-l 1522 buffer 512000 access-list TAC

After attempting to connect once or twice to the outside IP address, you should see packets in this packet capture - 'show capture capout'. If no packets are seen, the traffic is likely being blocked upstream.

Hope this helps.

Sorry I didn't post that this has been solved. The ISP was blockin ICMP and SSH and I had them make the proper changes and all is well now. Thanks!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: