cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco model naming convention

MarkJeffers
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know where to find a posting of what the parts of a cisco model name mean?

ex. WS-C3560G-24TS

17 Replies 17

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I've never seen an official doc on it, but as a partner, I occasionally see a quote that has something regarding it. For your example,

WS=Workgroup Switch

C=Cisco

3560=Hardware Platform

G=Gigabit

24=Number of ports (not always accurate because it doesn't always count uplink ports. It's usually the number of ports for access.)

T=Ethernet I think, however there is also P which is for PoE.

S=Standard Image

These can sometimes vary so don't take this as gospel, but it should be pretty close.

Hope it helps.

Thank you so much. it's very helpful

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As noted, the naming convention isn't always conventional. ;)

I suggest getting a copy of the (free in soft copy, also orderable for a nominal cost or usually available through your Cisco account team if you have one) Cisco Product Quick Reference Guide and downloading it to your computer. It is published regularly and has a good overview of most of Cisco's products in one place.

See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/qrg/index.html

Hope this helps.

routeremperor
Level 1
Level 1

You can deduce it easily enough:

WS = Switching

C = Catalyst

3560 = Model

G = Type

24 = Port no.

TS = Sub Type

Or just use the SVO/RMA tool on the website, it will show you a list of all the parts for product.

https://apps.cisco.com/qtc/config/html/configureHomeGuest.html

Can any one provide me naming convention for below?

air-cap1602i-n-k9

C1921-3G-G-SEC/K9

AP:

• AIR: Aironet
  • C: Controller-based
  • AP: Access point
  • 1602: model number
  • i: integrated antenna
  • K9: strong AES/3DES encryption

Thanks you so much.

Apprecialte your help

Hi Andras,

Can you please let me know where can I get most of Part numbers and model number catalog for routers and Voip phones. Would be a big help.

Thank You,

Gayan

Hi,
Andras, much appreciated if you could let me know where can I find catalog for most of the Cisco routers, switches, APs and VOIP phones.

vaoneiler
Level 1
Level 1

I know this question was asked a while ago but here is what I found:

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/printerfriendly/2106547

Rajesh Hirani
Level 1
Level 1

There is no set location or spread sheet you can refer to!

The recommendation is to read the document of the model you are interested in or do what "routeremperor" has suggested. Searching and developing the naming your self however; be careful; their are a lot of meaning to  one letter :-)

Raj

Data-Holic
Level 1
Level 1

Ex: WS-C2960X-48FPS-L

WS = Switch
C = Catalyst​

2960= Model
X = Series ( X *OR* XR )

48 = How many Ethernet 10/100/1000 ports (24 or 48 )

FP = Identify if there is POE or not, and also Identify the Watt of POE if exist. ( F = 740w *OR*  L= 320w , P= POE )  If no POE then we will use (T) Instead  

S = number of SFPs  ( it is used to identify number of SFPs , S= 4 SFP  *OR*  D= 2 SFP+ )

-L = IOS Feature set ( for X series :  -L = LAN BASE *OR* -LL = LAN lite ) , ( For XR : -IL = IP lite) 

NOTE: We have 2 Exceptions for this concept:

===================================

1- WS-C2960X-24PSQ-L : Watt not mentioned,S=4SFP , Q is a new symbol. 
This Switch have only 2 SFP and 2 1000BASE-T , Its is also have POE on just 8 ports with 92w.

2- WS-C2960X-48TS-LL : Although It supposed to have 4 SFP referring to the S symbol, But it has only 2 SFP.  ( When the IOS is -LL , Then there are only 2 SFP  even if we use the S symbol )

Hello , 

What that the diference between Part code with "= " at  the end and not ?

for example :  "GLC-SX-MMD=" and  "GLC-SX-MMD"

best Regard

GLC-SX-MMD - with chasis

GLC-SX-MMD= - without chasis

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card