NSS4000 - Non-clean shutdown now cannot access? Or did I forget my password?

Unanswered Question
Jul 21st, 2009

Hi All,

Today I relocated an NSS4000.  I unplugged it from the wall and plugged in at new location.

When trying to access I cannot 'guess' the correct password.  When I say 'guess' I have a pretty generic set of passwords that I use pretty consistently, yet I cannot seem to access the device.

- Is there an issue with unclean shutdowns?

- (How) Can I get access to my data?

- Does the factory reset clear the actual data too?

Thanks for any pointers.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Steven DiStefano Wed, 07/22/2009 - 07:15

A few clarifying questions:

1) When did you buy this unit (MM/YY)?

2) What FW is it running and when did you last upgrade it?

3) What do the LEDs show on the front of the box?  The System Light especially.

4) Did it have a static or DHCP address and can you ping it?

5) Can you discover it using the little NSS Discovery utility that is supplied with the NSS (A PC application)

6) Are you running Hard Disks from the approved Vendor list or HDDs that came with the unit?

You should never just remove power when the NSS is running and there is a graceful shutdown GUI button under the Maintenance drawer you should use.

The NSS OS runs in memory and none of the IOS runs on the disks, which is why we can sell them diskless.  The data on the disks should be safe as long as they are approved versions.

here was a post on factory reset:

Thanks for your feedback.

karlmitmannsgruber Wed, 07/22/2009 - 16:19

Hi Steve,

After more searching of the Cisco site I found the answer to my major query: that being, a factory reset of the system clears the username / password and allows me access to me data again via system defaults username and password.  ( it doesn't clear the HDD data ).  I upgraded the firmware after that too - access to the GUI is so much faster!

Thanks for the link, for others, this link provides the information you may require to reset your NSS4000:

Kind Regards

Sanjay Belkhode Fri, 02/10/2012 - 05:37

I have a similar problem to @karlmitmannsgruber.  Firstly, I have performed this procedure to reset the NSS4000:

"To restore the network setting system defaults: You need to do this if the configuration interface becomes inaccessible. To reset the network setting system defaults, shut down the NSS, power it off, hold down the Reset button, and then power up the NSS. When you see the Power LED blink yellow rapidly, release the Reset button. The network settings are restored to factory defaults."

All documentation I have seen states the username and password are set to a default of the word 'admin'.

After performing a Network Attached Storage System Recovery Procedure:

All attempts to login to the NSS4000 system’s administrative graphical user interface (GUI) fail.

Also, the unit's IP address is, I do not believe this is a 'default' IP address either.  Therefore, I suspect the reset procedure I performed above is not restoring the system to factory default settings.

I would be most grateful for any assisance on understanding what the proper reset procedure is.  OR for that matter pointing out if I have made errors in the above procedures.

Sanjay Belkhode

This Discussion

Related Content