cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless AP load

lucky.sibanyoni
Level 1
Level 1

i'd like to know on how many number of users can a 1130 AP support (i know by default the threshold is set to 12) if i have 24 users connected connected to 1 AP, will the users experience poor signal and experience connectivity issues? what is the best practice when it comes to number is users per Cisco AP (1130)

4 Replies 4

mat.edwards
Level 1
Level 1

It all depends on what each client is doing and the required throughput. Remember if the AP is a/g you can have 12 associated to each radio.

From Cisco Mobility guide:

The number of users versus throughput and a given AP. A common recommended number of users per AP is 15 to 25 for data-only users only and, for the 7920 VoIP (or similar voice devices) wireless handset, 7 to 8 voice users when data is present.

They wouldn't experience poor signal or connectivity, however if there are alot of simultanious transmissions; RF is a shared medium and the bandwidth will decrease as CSMA/CA reduces the amount of each time a client is sending data or indeed waiting to send.

Hope this helps

Mat

Hi Mat

so, waht can be the effects of having 30 clients connected to 1 AP while they are close to the AP (i.e. they are in the Boardroom, and the AP is also in the Boardroom), will some clients experience low signal strength? will some clients have intermittent connectivity?

Again it's all down to bandwidth, if they are all connected to one radio at 54Mbps, they will all have a high signal strength, connectivity will also be fine. The difference when adding more users is that the 54Mbps is divided between all users. The effective throughput of 54Mbps is around 25-27Mbps, with 30 users all connected they will all be contending for the medium and recieve less than 1Mbps each. Ideally I would advise that if you expect to have 30 wireless users in one area, install two AP's on different channels.

Thanks a lot Mat

i now understand...

but then you can you be able to explain this for me: i'd like to know what this mean in detail, so that i can be able to pin point when there is a problem, also how can i resolve the FCSerrors ?

TxFragmentCount................................ 2172956

MulticastTxFrameCnt............................ 67506

FailedCount.................................... 1092546

RetryCount..................................... 2725219

MultipleRetryCount............................. 0

FrameDuplicateCount............................ 8774

RtsSuccessCount................................ 27219

RtsFailureCount................................ 107477

AckFailureCount................................ 2617742

RxFragmentCount................................ 0

MulticastRxFrameCnt............................ 0

FcsErrorCount.................................. 6147335