SPA525G, 7-2-5 firmware feedback issue

Unanswered Question
Jul 22nd, 2009

On recently upgraded SPA525G to 7-2-5 release, we are having a problem with feedback to callING party when using speaker phone if speaker phone volume is greater than or equal to 8. We have observed this on EVERY SPA525G that we have in the lab, on our internal system and on a customer install. We only noticed this after upgrading to release 7-2-5.

Speaker phone volume of 8 is not a workable situation in that hearing the calling/called party is VERY difficult.

The feedback is only minor on the SPA525G phone when using speaker phone, but the majority of feedback is to the calling/called party on their end.

Anyone experiencing this problem?

Anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

We have attempted the normal troubleshooting issues and have found it only appears to apply to the SPA525 7-2-5 release.

One last observation is that in quieter background noise situations, the feedback on the calling/called party gets significantly worse as background noise becomes quieter.

If this could be an issue with the sound upgrade included in 7-2-5, how do we turn off the high-band sound?

Message was edited by: finalconnect NOTE: All UC520 systems with 7.0.3 software.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jlai2 Wed, 07/22/2009 - 12:13

Let me try to narrow down the problem by asking you a few more questions.

When you say "feedback", do you mean that one hears his own voice on the remote side?

How loud is the feedback?

Does it happen in every phone call?

What other firmware version have you tested, and which ones are good, and which ones are bad?

Marcos Hernandez Thu, 07/23/2009 - 07:19

OK, this is good info. Does it happen with other IP phones? Bear with us, we'll get to the bottom of this.

MICHAEL JOHNSON Thu, 07/23/2009 - 07:52

I know you will. The customer only has 525 but we will take a couple other IP phones to the site on Monday to perform additional testing.

In our lab where we can duplicate occasionally, it only happens on the 525.

jlai2 Thu, 07/23/2009 - 14:07

We have seen a similar case of feedback issue.

It happens only if we use SPA525G in speakerphone mode to initiate an outgoing call.  Incoming call will not have this issue.

It is a timing issue, and only happens occassionally, and more likely to happen when deploying with UC500.

If you hear the feedback, one way to work around is to pick up the handset once, and then switch back to speakerphone.

Does this description match your situation?

MICHAEL JOHNSON Fri, 07/24/2009 - 01:17

THat is it. We have experienced it on inbound calls as well. We will try the trick in th lab, but that is not really a work around. Hopefully the fix is out very soon...

MICHAEL JOHNSON Fri, 07/24/2009 - 20:37

YES THIS ONLY OCCURS ON SPA525G. We installed a couple 525G on our office system and duplicated the problem on 525Gs only.

Marcos Hernandez Tue, 07/28/2009 - 12:29

Just wanted to update you on this problem. I have been given an engineering build with the potential fix. I will be testing it immediately and will inform you about the next steps, should my test results be positive.

Stay tuned.

sethschmautz Thu, 07/30/2009 - 10:32

Any additional information on this issue?  We've been seeing the same thing here in our Production environment using 525s and a 32 user UC520.

Marcos Hernandez Thu, 07/30/2009 - 11:57

The issue is still under investigation. I will try to get an update out before the end of the week.

Thanks for the patience.

Marcos Hernandez Sun, 08/16/2009 - 14:58

Believe it or not, we are still unable to reproduce this problem internally. It just doesn't manifest itself as you both describe, even when I used my home AT&T line. We need to capture Ethereal traces and phone debugs for when the problem takes place. Would it be possible for you to help us do this?

Here are the instructions to capture the debug log:

The Syslog server utility is attached.

Also, for port mirroring, have you ever done that? Do you need help?

MICHAEL JOHNSON Thu, 07/23/2009 - 07:15

Yes every outbound POTS call regardless of POTS line used - verified at multiple sites so not site specific.

Feedback is loud enough that the called/calling party is complaining about it. When handset is picked up, called/calling party immediately notices the problem corrected.

We did not notice this issue in the 7-1-7 release during our lab testing.

Patrick Born Wed, 07/22/2009 - 13:22

Hi finalconnect,

I've checked with Escalation Engineering and with Quality Assurance, you're the first to report feedback issues.

Some questions in addition to John's and Marcos' questions:

1. Does the feedback occur when calls are placed though the PSTN?
  2. Does the feedback occur when calls are placed through an Internet Service Provider [ITSP]?
  3. Does the feedback occur when making internal calls?
  4. What are you using for call control? SPA9000, UC500, or Hosted?
  5. Is the handset left on the phone [on the cradle] when making a speaker phone call?

Can you please record an audio example of the feedback and post so we can better understand your experience?

MICHAEL JOHNSON Thu, 07/23/2009 - 07:27

First to Report Comment: Ok, but that firmware has only been out a week or so. I am also one of the few Cisco partners to find a UC500 with a hardware defect as well. I guess I'm just lucky.

Q1 answer: Yes any PSTN inbound/outbound call experiences the issue.

Q2 answer: We do not have an account to test that.

Q3 answer: Not that we have noticed but we have not fully tested. We will test that in the lab tomorrow and at the customer site Monday.

Q4 answer: UC500

Q5 answer: Handset is in the cradle.

Additional recording comment: We will try, but since it is the remote side that hears the feedback, it will be difficult to capture electronically, but we will do our best. It basically is the same sounding feedback that occasionally occurs on a cell phone when you hear yourself over the called/calling party and correct it by hanging up and calling back.

It is acceptable on a cell phone but not on a business phone system.

Thanks. Should I open a TAC case?

Patrick Born Thu, 07/23/2009 - 15:37

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Yes, please open a TAC case. This will make it easier for you to track our progress.

Engineering believe that they have a good understanding of the issue, thanks to your help, so a fix should not take too long.

This Discussion

Related Content