I was doing some testing today and seem to have encountered a weird problem(I assume). The scenario is as follows.
* the switch is a couple of C3750 interconnected and doing the L3 function for its LAN
* they also operate on the hsrp so say sw-2 is active for even vlans and sw-1 for odd.
* let us consider vlan 4 and vlan 6 configured on the switches and specifically the sw2 switch. This switch has the IP address as : 10.x.4.3 for vlan 4 (config via interface vlan CLI, HSRP is 10.x.4.1 and this is the active switch for vlan 4) & 10.x.6.3 for vlan 6 ( HSRP is 10.x.6.1 and is active switch for this vlan too)
* Now in sw2 itself, I tried to do an extended ping with source address 10.x.4.1 to target address 10.x.6.1, say 2000 packets, now when I look at the show int vlan 6, i dont see the input packet incrementing nor the 5 minute input rate incrementing? Am I missing something here before I think in lines of an IOS bug.
* if i ping 10.x.6.1 from another LAN/site say 10.y.6.1 then counters do increment.
THe IOS is 12.2(25SEE1) i know its a bit old one :)