cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Am I wasting bandwidth with an unused priority queue?

kevin_miller
Level 1
Level 1

Building a single policy-map that works for all my remotes is my goal. However, I have some remotes that don't run VoIP, for example. If I use a policy-map at these sites that creates a 20% strict priority queue for VoIP, am I essentially "losing" that 20% - or if the queue is unused can the 20% be utilized by traffic in other non-priority queues? Are there any other penalties for having an unused priority queue that I'm missing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If I use a policy-map at these sites that creates a 20% strict priority queue for VoIP, am I essentially "losing" that 20% (no) - or if the queue is unused can the 20% be utilized by traffic in other non-priority queues? (yes) Are there any other penalties for having an unused priority queue that I'm missing? (yes - you won't be able to "reserve" that amount of bandwidth for other class traffic - if you think of bandwidth management in ratios, this usually isn't a problem)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The queueing will only happen when the tx ring gets full, otherwise any application can use it. Having the queue there, the tx ring full and no traffic in the queue will affect it. The queue will be reserved for the traffic defined in your class-map set as priority.

Hope that helps.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If I use a policy-map at these sites that creates a 20% strict priority queue for VoIP, am I essentially "losing" that 20% (no) - or if the queue is unused can the 20% be utilized by traffic in other non-priority queues? (yes) Are there any other penalties for having an unused priority queue that I'm missing? (yes - you won't be able to "reserve" that amount of bandwidth for other class traffic - if you think of bandwidth management in ratios, this usually isn't a problem)

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks very much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: