cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Default Negotiation

pipemajor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all. Just passed my CCCENT last week and am hitting the CCNA material - VLANS and VTP.

I understand Cisco catalyst switches default to a VLAN server but I'm having problems finding what the default VTP negotiation would be with no additional configuration. I think I understand what each mode does, just not what the default behavior is if you don't specify in the config. And, do all switchports default to an implied access port?

auto?

desireable?

trunk?

access?

TIA

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The default VTP status is 'Server' and 'Null domain'.

If all switches in the switched network have a 'Null domain', no VTP updates will be exchange regardless their VTP status 'Server or Client'.

If you enter a VTP Domain Name on a switch, it will automatically propagate this name on the switches with 'Null Domain' as long as the inter-switch link are trunk links.

Access switches such as 3750, 2960 and 3560 default to dynamic auto and Core switches such as 4500 and 6500 default to dynamic desirable. Note: 3550 was an oddity as it defaulted to dynamic desirable.

Auto <-> Auto does not form a trunk

Desirable <-> Auto or Desirable does form a trunk

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The default VTP status is 'Server' and 'Null domain'.

If all switches in the switched network have a 'Null domain', no VTP updates will be exchange regardless their VTP status 'Server or Client'.

If you enter a VTP Domain Name on a switch, it will automatically propagate this name on the switches with 'Null Domain' as long as the inter-switch link are trunk links.

Access switches such as 3750, 2960 and 3560 default to dynamic auto and Core switches such as 4500 and 6500 default to dynamic desirable. Note: 3550 was an oddity as it defaulted to dynamic desirable.

Auto <-> Auto does not form a trunk

Desirable <-> Auto or Desirable does form a trunk

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks Edison,

I also found additional information in my CP CCNA Portable Command Guide by Scott Empson.

Default behavior is platform dependent with the 2960 switches (I have a 2950 for my home lab) defaulting to dynamic auto. And this would mean to form a trunk the nieghboring port would need to be set at either "trunk" or "dynamic desirable"

My toughest challenge to to memorize what all the router/switch default behaviors are...

No need to memorize

Rack1SW1#sh run int f0/12

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 34 bytes

!

interface FastEthernet0/12

end

Rack1SW1#sh int f0/12 sw | i Administrative Mode

Administrative Mode: dynamic auto

Thanks! Very handy show commands but...

I doubt I'd have access to that feature in an exam environment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card