What is my ip address on my switch?

Unanswered Question
Jul 22nd, 2009
User Badges:

Hi

I've got a switch with about 70 vlan's and 3 loopback interfaces on it, the switch also does routing. I want to telnet to a device on vlan 66, how do I know what ip the switch is going to use as the source ip address if I initiate the telnet from the switch?

Thanks

Dan

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Collin Clark Wed, 07/22/2009 - 07:29
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

I believe it uses the closest interface to the destination (per the routing table). You can always source from an interface if you need to.

<font size="2" face="Courier New, monospace"></p><p>Router#telnet 1.1.1.1 /source-interface ?</p><p>  Async               Async interface</p><p>  Auto-Template       Auto-Template interface</p><p>  BVI                 Bridge-Group Virtual Interface</p><p>  CDMA-Ix             CDMA Ix interface</p><p>  CTunnel             CTunnel interface</p><p>  Dialer              Dialer interface</p><p>  FastEthernet        FastEthernet IEEE 802.3</p><p>  Lex                 Lex interface</p><p>  Loopback            Loopback interface</p><p>  Multilink           Multilink-group interface</p><p>  Null                Null interface</p><p>  Tunnel              Tunnel interface</p><p>  Vif                 PGM Multicast Host interface</p><p>  Virtual-Dot11Radio  Virtual dot11 interface</p><p>  Virtual-PPP         Virtual PPP interface</p><p>  Virtual-Template    Virtual Template interface</p><p>  Virtual-TokenRing   Virtual TokenRing</p><p>  Vlan                Vlan IEEE 802.1q</p><p>  vmi                 Virtual Multipoint Interface</p><p>    </font>

Hope that helps.

Actions

This Discussion