cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

failed SPA400 firmware update

senik_yurij
Level 1
Level 1

My Linksys SPA400 has been accidentially powered off while firmware update. After restoring power supply device does not get ip from DHCP server. "Power" LED is on. "Status" LED is off. All four "Line" LEDs blink once in four seconds simultaneously. "Ethernet" LED Blinks as usual. "USB" LED is off. I guess this happens because of the corrupted firmware. Is there any way to revive the device? Thanks in advance!!!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Yuri,

I've attached the SPA400 recovery utility for you if Glenn's suggestion does not help.

The compressed file contains recovery instructions.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

View solution in original post

Dear Stephen;

Recovery firmware is attached. Please note that after recovery you would need to upgrade to latest firmware.

Regards
Alberto

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Glenn Quesenberry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Yuri.  What happens when you hold in the "reset" button on the SPA400 for 30 seconds?  With the power applied to the unit, take a paper-clip or similar object and hold in the red "reset" button for at least 30 seconds.  Have you attempted this yet?

Hello Glenn! If I press and hold reset button then "line" LEDs stop blinking and light constantly. But I still can't reach the device as it does not get any IP from DHCP.

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Yuri,

I've attached the SPA400 recovery utility for you if Glenn's suggestion does not help.

The compressed file contains recovery instructions.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Hi Patrick! Thanks for your responce.

But I still can't do the job. In the instruction at point 2 it is writtten that I have to have firmware recovery image. So that is the problem. What is this?

I tried to use several firmware bin files (different versions) but recovery tool gives me the error (see screenshot bellow).  recovery_tool_error.jpg

Are you still having the problems after setting to factory default?

Mines still dead, factory default didn't make any difference, mine died after a firmware update, it came back with "update successful" but hasn' worked since.

Hopefully there is a different bin file for recovery, there is for the SPA9XX phones

Many Thanks

Hi Patrick,

Is there a special bin file for the SPA400 recovery utility?

Regards

Stephen

Hi Stephen;

Yes. It is attached just a few messages above for download

Regards
Alberto

Thanks Alberto,

There doesn't appear to be any firmware image in that download (SPA400_Recovery.zip) only the recovery program and instructions.

The instructions say :-

Click the FILES button. Select the firmware recovery image file from the
Browse windows, then click the Open button. The utility will show BIN File
Information on a pop-up box.

I have downloaded various versions of firmware, but the recovery program responds with "File Access Error", that is why I was asking if there

was a special firmware bin file to use with this SPA400 unit ?

Many Thanks

Hi Stephen;

I'm checking on that. I'll let you know what's the file you need to use.

Regards;
Alberto

Dear Stephen;

Recovery firmware is attached. Please note that after recovery you would need to upgrade to latest firmware.

Regards
Alberto

Thanks Alberto,

My dead SPA400 lives once again.

I must say thankyou to Patrick and yourself for your help in getting this issue resolved.

Thanks for your support helping me sell and support the LVS platform

Regards

Stephen

Thanks to Patrick and Alberto! I confirm the resolution of the problem. Mine SPA400 is also revived.

Hello. Would you have a version of the utility which will run on any modern windows program? Help. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: