Views
Helpful
Replies

2811 Power Consumption

matthewbevan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Little confused here. I have a 2811 and I want to k now what power it will be consuming. It is single AC fed. I look at the data sheet and see:

AC input voltage 100 to 240 VAC, autoranging

AC input frequency 47-63 Hz

AC input current 2A (110V) 1A (230V)

AC input surge current 50A maximum, one cycle (-48V power included)

AC-IP maximum in-line power distribution 120W

AC-IP input current 4A (110V) 2A (230V)

AC-IP input surge current 50A maximum, one cycle (-48V power included)

so, is it right to then derive that at 230v (mains supply) there will be a current of 1A fed to the device = 230W power consumption? Help - is this it, this easy? Why the data sheet doesn't simply say "power consumption = x" is a no brainer I think!

Cheers,

matt.

1 Reply 1

ebreniz
Level 6
Level 6

These published wattage numbers should be considered max values. I haven't measured the 2811 specifically however some experiments I have done with the 2821 showed the system at idle with no modules plugged in drawing ~30 Watts (datasheet says 240 for the 2821 and 160 Watts for 2811).

As for HWICs and AIMs, as per the engineering spec, this power consumption is minimal. Their max values are AIM - 10 W and HWIC - 5 Watts..... again Max values. Network modules spec is a little higher at 25 Watts.

These interfaces will add up, you can use these spec Max numbers as guidelines. Also you may want to keep in mind start up power. While the system is booting plan on a ~15%-20% increase in power consumption.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/2800/hardware/installation/guide/01_hw.html#wp1037377

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: