cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

memory requirements for cisco asa 5510 to use asa version 8.2

donnie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all. I intend to upgrade my asa 5510 to version 8.2(1) with asdm 6.2(1). From cisco url(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/release/notes/asarn82.html#wp310503) i found that the memory requirement for flash ram is 512MB. But my asa 5510 has only 256MB. Is this sufficient? Pls advise. Thks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Hi Don,

The ASA 8.2(1) image is about 15.5 MB and ASDM 6.2(1) 11 MB, so you'll need at least 26.5 MB worth of free space (check 'show flash') in your flash before upgrading.

As for DRAM, 8.2 certainly uses more of it than previous versions, so if your memory utilization is already high (check 'show mem'), you might want to consider an upgrade kit.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

benbollinger
Level 2
Level 2

Is the 512mb number a hard limit or are you saying that if we have free space in flash 256 is fine?

I'm getting ready to upgrade tomorrow on 256. does that seem ok as long as there is memory free?

keithannette
Level 1
Level 1

If you do a show memory on the device and if it has less than 20% free, Cisco recommends to upgrade the RAM

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: