cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst ME-4924-10GE - Fast ethernet management port

andy_goes
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to mirror one of the Giga ethernet port to the only Fast ethernet management port that we have on Catalyst ME-4924-10GE. Is it possible?

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

While it may be possible, it is strongly not recommended. Speed mismatch aside, the management port is not architected to provide the wire speed switching that the access or uplink ports are.

See the Installation Guide (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/metro/me4924-10ge/hardware/installation/guide/HIGOVEW.html) which states:

"The management port is used (in ROMMON mode only) to recover a switch software image that has been corrupted or destroyed due to a network catastrophe. This port is not active while the switch is operating normally.

You should designate one of the normal ports on your switch as a management port, used for configuration and monitoring traffic. D o not connect the management port to this network, it is only intended to be used from a direct console connection. "

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your reply, I already have find this guide.

One more question: Is it possible change the speed to 100 on the giga ethernet port? We are using a GLC-T (1000BASE-T) because we need have RJ-45 and in this transcever we can't do that.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you do "sh interface ", what is the speed the interface is capable of negotiating?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card