cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Analog Line - No Ring but Call Connects

jcastleberry
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2811 Router with a FXS unit installed. I have set up a POTS line on one port and assigned a DID to it. I have plugged an old analog phone into the port for testing purposes and it is known good. It has a light that flashes when a call is incoming.

Currently my issue is that I can call the number and the light flashes on the phone but there is no ring... I can pick up the reciever and the call connects. If I hang up and pick up the reciever on the analog phone like I am placing a new outgoing call I have no dial tone.

I am wondering if I have a bad port on the FXS card.

Any advice would be appreciated.

5 Replies 5

pcameron
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The phone might not be sensitive enough to the ring voltage from the FXS port.

The ringer circuit is some older phones places a considerable load across the line and depending on the model of the FXS card, the ring voltage may be less than what the PSTN/central office provides (it is still with accepted tolerances).

If you have another handset (eg basic electronic type), give this a try.

If you don't get dial tone, do you have 'direct-inward-dial' configured under the POTS dial peer ? If so, remove it.

Otherwise post you config and SH diag so we know he hardware and how it is configured.

hsgoraya77
Level 1
Level 1

Please post your configuration. It could be the progress_ind needs to be configured.

rescueskier
Level 1
Level 1

Check the wire you are using. I have had issues with FXS cards and you are using a 4 wire phone line. Try a 2 wire that only has the green and red pair in the center.

hsgoraya77
Level 1
Level 1

Try this command under the pots dial-peer

"progress_ind alert strip"

These commands do nothing for analog interfaces.