cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM 3.0.5 Devices not resolving to hostname

qlgendrano
Level 1
Level 1

I recently added few devices to DFM. I am not doing auto-sync so whenever I add device from CS, I will have to manually add that particular device to DFM. Normally, once the device's IP is properly configure to the local host file, DFM resolves the IP to hostname. This time, DFM did not resolve. In DFM device import page, these devices are showing the hostname, however when these are imported, the IP addresses are the ones showing up.

I have tried to rediscover these devices in DFM, also deleted both from DFM and CS, reentered but still did not work.

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If there are entries in the server's local hosts file for these devices, then DFM should show the hostname. Try removing the devices from DFM, then shutdown Daemon Manager. Restart the Windows DNS Client service or the Solaris nscd daemon, then restart Daemon Manager. Then try adding the device back to DFM.

I tried everything you said but still it gives me just the IP address of the device. It shows the hostname but when imported to DFM, it changes to IP.

There is a tool you can use to test name resolution, but it's broken in LMS 3.0.1. If you call the TAC, they can provide you with an updated TestRes.class file. This will verify that the system resolver can properly resolve the IP address in DCR to a hostname.

Thanks! I will open a case with TAC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: