Multiple WLC and AP secondary config

Unanswered Question
Jul 23rd, 2009

Hi all, we have 2 WLC, each licensed for 12 AP's. Here is the issue, we will have up to 20 Ap in our enviroment. No problem getting each AP assigned to a primary controller. My question is assinging an AP to a secondary. If I assign 10 AP's to each as a primary, and then have each assigned to the other controller as a secondary, in the event we lose 1 controller the other will now have 20 AP's associating with it. How does the WLC handle this situation? Just accept the first 2 requests then ignore all the other 8 request?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
dancampb Thu, 07/23/2009 - 11:37

Yes, in your setup the secondary controller would only accept the first two AP's. The other AP's would effectively be down.

Leo Laohoo Fri, 07/24/2009 - 01:29

First come, first serve UNTIL WLC reaches AP support limit.

What firmware are you running in your WLC?

jthullen Fri, 07/24/2009 - 11:54

Here is the output of show sysinfo:

Product Version..................................

RTOS Version.....................................

Bootloader Version...............................

Is thi what you are looking for? If not how do I show what you are after?

Leo Laohoo Fri, 07/24/2009 - 18:34

You answered my question accurately.

Again, it's First-Come-First-Serve until the limit is reached on the WLC.

Hope this helps.

rob.huffman Sat, 07/25/2009 - 10:01

Hi Jeffrey,

Just to add a note to the great tips from Dan and Leo (+5 points each guys!)

One of the recommended designs for WLC/AP failover and redundancy is referred to as the "n+1" rule. So in your design you would add a third WLC that had no AP's associated to it. It would be licensed for either 12 or 25 AP's. 12 in case one of your WLC's fails or 25 in case both active WLC's fail :)

WLAN Controller Failover for Lightweight Access Points Configuration Example

Hope this helps!

weterry Sat, 07/25/2009 - 12:46

To add to this as well:

You can actually assign priority to APs as well, so it doesn't have to be first come first serve.

In theory you can set the priority of 12 APs to the highest level, and those 12 should be the ones to stay on the controller in the event one fails (lower priority APs will be kicked off in place of higher priority).

jthullen Sun, 07/26/2009 - 16:32

Thank you all very much for your time and help! The N+1 scenario is the option I would have liked to to taken, but our budget just does not allow for an additional controller purchase at this time. SO it looks like I will be doing som AP priority so I can controll which are for sure to get the association in the event of controller failure.

Again, thanks to all. The information has been great.

Leo Laohoo Sun, 07/26/2009 - 21:21

If you'll be operating with just one WLC, I recommend you consider enable H-REAP.

Great News!

I finally got the Access Points working with my WLC.

The access points are showing on the WLC screen and obtaining their individual ip addresses.

Now, How do I ensure the wireless clients gets their ip address?

The wireless SSID is been advertised, but, the clients can not get an ip address.

I know when the AP were autonoumus, I could setup a VLAN for the clients. I do not know how to setup the same VLANs for the LWAPP access points.

This Discussion