cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Troubleshooting Wireless Drop and Acquiring IP Address

mmedwid
Level 3
Level 3

I have users receiving strong singnal from the AP - a Cisco 1100. They might be working several hours when their connection drops and they see "acquiring IP address. This interrupts their work and there is unhappiness. Is there a good doc for troubleshooting this kind of issue? The users are using Dell Latitude D620 laptops. Thank-you.

3 Replies 3

cbaser007
Level 1
Level 1

This may not be the culprit in your case, but I was bitten by Cisco bug CSCsq23961 this week on two 4402-12 WLC's running 4.2.130 code. The users have good signal, authenticate successfully against Radius, but never receive an address. I upgraded to the newest 4.2.xxx code as the fix, but the bug describes a workaround one can try in lieu of a code upgrade.

Are you using a fat AP or with a WLC? Are the users exeriencing dropouts at the same time or are different users losing connection at different times? What do the AP/WLC Logs indicate at the time of disconnect? Have you scanned the air to determine other APs on adjacent channels/any non-802.11 interference?

Answer these qs and will help more.

Mat

If you are using a control and you can time this issue use the debug client in the cli of the controller.

Also check session timeout on the controller

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card