cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Measuring different protocols utilization

leo_zidane
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any tools out there to calculate and meaure network measurements from Cisco?

I will like to see the different protocols utilization. It must be easy to configure. Is there any cisco tools out?

9 Replies 9

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

you can send netflow collection to SolarWinds netflow module (http://www.solarwinds.com/products/orion/nta/)

**I'm in no way associated with SolarWinds

Regards,

Roman

Is there any free tools cause i think it need a cost?

Lucien had a great suggestion with NBAR. You can configure NBAR on the router and then do "show ip nbar protocol-discovery" to see results without any external tools.

Configure "ip nbar protocol-discovery" on each interface.

Regards,

Roman

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

You can use netflow on the router, that involves to have a nrtflow collector softeare on a server for collection. Cisco has NFC.

You can use NBAR on the device and then collect the statistics over snmp. You could poll that data using freewares such as mrtg.

Those are the 2 ways to monitor protocol utilization.

There is also the nam module that can collect those for you.

Hi lavramov,

For NBar, i have a similar tool that is cacti. But how can i get the statistics over snmp?

Thanks

You can query the NBAR protocol MIB :

CISCO-NBAR-PROTOCOL-DISCOVERY-MIB

It's up to you to configure / customize cacti, mrtg or whatever software you have to poll this MIB.

You can download and read the mib from:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseMIB.do?local=en&step=2

NBAR is better than netflow if you decide to go with freewares.

Hi

So i will need to enable on each interface that i want to monitor with this command "ip nbar protocol-discovery"?

Is there any global command for it?

Is there any impact like causing CPU and memory usage high if i will to enable on the core switch every interfaces?

Hi,

Is it supported on catayst switch?

Cisco firewalls?

So it is impossible to monitor such traffic on switch level itself?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: