cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving users using GSM

jeff.singh_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have 3 networked users, single dialling domain. When I try and move a user the GSM tool reports that there is an error connection to the destination server. The account has full rights to the streams folder, and can access sa web pages on all server's and also is a local administrator (i have tried both unitymsgtore account and unityinstall account). ...TIA, Jeff

10 Replies 10

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jeff,

Not sure if you've verified this or not, but if these Unity servers are in different AD domains, make sure that the domain account you're logged in with while running the tool is granted local admin rights on the destination Unity server.

So if you're logged into ALPHA\UnityInstall while running GSM to move users to the BRAVO domain Unity server, make sure on the BRAVO Unity server that the ALPHA\UnityInstall account is defined as the local administrator(including the ALPHA\).

I've seen where this small configuration causes a lot of confusion with customers because they don't pay attention to the actual domain piece of it.

That may or may not be your issue but figured I'd throw it out there in case.

Brad

Brad,

thanks for the response, all 3 servers are part of the same domain. The accounts I have tried this with do have local admin rights to all servers.

If everything is configured properly and applied according to the GSM requirements, the move will work. Next I would gather the GSM logs and see if anything stands out. They're located in \CommServer\Utilities\GlobalSubscriberManager\LOGS

Brad

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

are you sure digital networking is setup correctly? Digital Networking should be completely working before GSM is used.

As Tommer mentioned, I would check and make sure that the Primary location is configured on every Unity server and they're all members of the same dialing domain. Also, the GlobalLocations table in SQL (Can be viewed using Data Link Explorer in the Tools Depot under Diagnostic Tools) should have all Unity server locations listed. Digital networking relies on Active Directory so if there is an issue there, it could cause problems.

If everything seems to be correct, I would recommend forcing a GC resync from DC/GC Reconnect Settings tool and wait for that to complete, then re-attempt the move.

Brad

Brad

unity server locations are listed i=using data link explorer - one of the criteria is 'The user account must also have public and db_datareader rights to the UnityDB SQL server database on the Unity server you connect to for normal operation of the GSM'

any idea how i can check that ??

Jeff,

Open SQL Enterprise Manager>UnityDb>Users

Double click the user listed, or create a new user and make sure that it has the proper read/write access to the database.

Hope that helps,

Brad

I usually go to each UnityDB in SQL and grant permissions (all permissions) to the domain account im going to use for GSM. And it has to be the same everyone. That way it can log into each SQL database and read/write what it needs for the GSM tool. I think someone just posted how to do this for you as well.

Tommer,

digital networking is configured and all seems to be working correct - we do not see any obvious reasons why its not working correctly, all functionality is there....cheers, Jeff