Views
Helpful
Replies

Aggregating WIC-1 on 2821 router

tasete
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings-

I currently have a 2821 running v12.4(3i) with an internal WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 module. I am increasing my internet speed from a single T1 to a 2xT1, which entails 2 RJ-45 cable handoffs from my Verizon demark. To accommodate, do I only need to purchase an additional WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 module and insert into chassis? Are there config examples available for aggregating 2 T1 links? Or is there some other hardware / software requirements? Can the 2800 series handle 2 WIC-1s?

Thanks

Scott

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Scott,

YEs, the 2821 can handle multiple T1s. If you want ot aggregate the two T1s into a single 3mbps circuit, you'll want to use PPP multilink

Here's an example of how you'd configure that:

Interface s0/1/0

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

interface s0/2/0

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

interface Multilink1

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

ip access-group 101 in

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

etc

etc

The general idea is that the multilink interface acts as the aggregator, where you apply your IP, ACL etc etc. The individual T1s don't have much config on them.

View solution in original post

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Scott-

A 2821 has no problems handling 2 T1's. You can add the second card or buy a 2 port card, either will work just fine. Here's a link on configuring them in a multilink bundle-

https://packetpros.com/cisco_kb/VWIC-MFT_MultiLinkPPP.html

Hope it helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Scott,

YEs, the 2821 can handle multiple T1s. If you want ot aggregate the two T1s into a single 3mbps circuit, you'll want to use PPP multilink

Here's an example of how you'd configure that:

Interface s0/1/0

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

interface s0/2/0

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

interface Multilink1

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

ip access-group 101 in

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

etc

etc

The general idea is that the multilink interface acts as the aggregator, where you apply your IP, ACL etc etc. The individual T1s don't have much config on them.

Perfect!

Thanks all for the quick help. I'll get a bigger pipe yet!

S.

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Scott-

A 2821 has no problems handling 2 T1's. You can add the second card or buy a 2 port card, either will work just fine. Here's a link on configuring them in a multilink bundle-

https://packetpros.com/cisco_kb/VWIC-MFT_MultiLinkPPP.html

Hope it helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card