cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC 520 Password problem

dhankins1
Level 1
Level 1

We're newbies with Cisco and we have a big problem. Our password to access our UC520 no longer works. It did work yesterday. Is there any way to reset it back to the factory default?

10 Replies 10

Our 520 came without any cabling to connect to it. The packing list said there was supposed to be but there wasn't. This is the second 520 we have tried to put in here this month. The first one had to be returned. Are these things reliable? This new one worked for 4 days and now the password doesn't work. Is there another way to get this working or should we return this one as well?

Was this an opened box? Who was this purchased from? If you have the serial number handy I can track the box from the manufacturing to see if we missed sending it out.

It will be good to understand the issues that you ran into that led to the return. Do you have a TAC service request number? There have been numerous successful deployments for UC 500s. We have a few customer success stories in the partner central area - http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/sell/smb/products/sbcs.html#~3 (look under pre-sales resources).

Let me know if I can help out.

Thanks,

Saurabh

The TAC sr # is 612030173 and the box's sn is FHK 113611 2R. The first box we received did not contain the cabling and would not boot so we returned it. We received this second box last Friday. We have been struggling to get it to register with Cbeyond for incoming calls. Everything else works. Today, we could not access the box. Our username/password no longer works. Tried the original default password without any luck. I went out on a limb recommending this equipment to management. I also recommended that, with the training we are now receiving, it would be a good product line for us to resell. If this equipment also has to be returned, it will not look very good for me or Cisco. We have been without inbound phones for a month now. I cannot imagine being down another 2 weeks for another replacement.

I'm assuming this is a desktop (8 or 16 user) unit. The cables shipped with the product are included in a smaller box (size of a pizza box). The other contents of this box include accessory kit with document, power cord, power adapter, wall mount for power adapter, wireless antenna (if equipped with wireless access point), and a console (blue) and an ethernet (yellow) cable. When you opened the UC 500 package, did it have the smaller box? Was cables (console and ethernet) the only thing missing?

I looked at the TAC service request and looks like this is the one that you just opened for the getting the password recovered. Do you also have the TAC service request from the previous call?

Thanks,

Saurabh

the previous TAC request was SR 611853081. We have never seen a blue console cable. Never used one either for that matter. Haven't used a terminal emulator in 15 or 20 years. Just doesn't come up in our IT world.

Hi Danny,

It was good to talk to you and clarify some of the issues. I will check with manufacturing to see why a console cable was not shipped along in the box. For the RMA'ed units, as you know, an accessory kit is not shipped - so the RMA shipment didn't have any cables. I'm trying to find out if we have a local contact in VA who might be able to lend you a console cable for password recovery.

Thanks,

Saurabh

Danny,

We started selling the UC520 last year (first deployment may 2008). Since then we´ve sold about 8 solutions. We´ve never experienced the problems you are having, whenever there´s been a "downtime" with the cisco box, it´s ususally a configuration issue from our end. All in all we are really satisfied with UC520 and it´s capabilities. The issues you have with incoming calls and Cbeyond is probably a configuration issue and not a HW defect.

I guess you´ve opened a TAC case regarding the incoming calls? The SMB team on this site can probably help you to escalate things if the TAC engineer isn´t able to help you with the incoming calls.

Regards

Eivind

Saurabh Verma
Level 4
Level 4

You will need to use the console connection on the UC 500 to access the box.

The easiest way to do this will be to remove the Compact Flash from the UC 500 and reboot. Make sure you are connected to the box on the console port. When the UC 500 tries to reboot, it will get into the rommon mode.

At this point you can change the config-register to ignore the start-up config in the nvram. Use the command "confreg 0x2142".

Then insert the Compact Flash back into the UC 500 (you don't need to power off the UC 500). It will boot through and will get into the initial config mode. Ignore the initial config and get to the "Router#" prompt.

Once you get this prompt, copy the start-up config to the running-config using the command "copy start run". You can now go to the configuration mode and change the username/password and the enable password.

HTH,

Saurabh

One other thing that you will need to do (after changing the password) is save the running configuration using the "write mem" command and change the configuration register back using the "config-register 0x2102".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: