Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I connect a 10GBASE X2 to an SFP in a Cisco TwinGig Converter Module

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to know can I connect two 3750-e switches together via an SFP in a 10GBASE X2? Will it work? and will it communicate at gig?

Thanks

Dan

13 Replies 13

jbrenesj
Level 3
Level 3

It will work just as connecting two switches with a copper cable but you'll get up to 10G speeds. Of course it would be better to connect both 3750E using the stackwise cable because you will get up 64G in a dual stack ring

Hi

Thanks for that. Given that one end is an SFP in the twin Gig govertor i.e with LC connection on the fibre cable and the other is in the 10GBase X2 with an SC connector on the Fibre cable, won't it only run at 1Gig max?

Thanks

Dan

Hi, on the SFP side what do you have, SX (GLC-SX-MM) or LX (GLC-LH-SM)?

On the 10G side what is the X2 model?

You are going to have a problem connecting these but please let me know the info above so I can explain further

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I've got myself stuck in position and am hoping I can get out of it by connecting these two together:

1) Twin gig has GLC-SX-MM=

2) Cisco X2-10GB-SR

I'm hoping this is going to work with 62.5/125 micron Multimode Fiber cable. Please let me know if this will work?

Thanks

Dan

Unfortunately these two can't connect because of the wavelenght of the signal.

They are totally different so the X2 won't see the SFP signal.

Even when the physical fiber is OK, the SFP and X2 are totally different technologies and the link will remain down/down.

Basically you need to match the connector on both ends of the link, either one GLC-SX-MM at each end or one X2 at each end

:( T'is a sad day indeed for me. Silly me ordered an SC-LC cable and now can't think how I can get out of this mess? Any thoughts on possibilities?

Thanks

Dan

How long is distance between the two devices? Fiber patch cords are not very expensive

Reza

Dan,

Speed mismatch.

The link will not come up.

You have to do 10Gig SC to SC or 1Gig LC to LC

HTH

Reza

What is you main problem here? Distance between both switches?

The problem is that with a fiber link you need to have the same technology at each end

Hi,

The two ends of the fibre are different one side is sc and the other is LC. I can't connect the two 3750-e stacks together as the 10G modules only take SC while the SFP only takes LC. I do have another 10G module but since the other end of the fibre is LC I can't connect it.

Any bright ideas on what I can do. The two stacks are in two differnet racks about 3 metres apart from each other.

Thanks

Dan

If the other 10G module is also a X2-10GB-SR then just get a fiber cable but if it's a different model then it will never connect with the X2-10GB-SR.

As a rule you "need to have the same module model on each end"

Hi,

Looks like I'll have to. The problem is that tomorrow I need to join the two switches and I forgot to order the sc-sc cable, so I was looking for someway around the problem.

Thanks for your help though.

Dan

Dan,

If you have patch panels with right connectors, you could do SC (switch) to LC and LC back to SC (switch)

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card