cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Console access problem in CISCO 2811

magrawal9
Level 1
Level 1

I have a CISCO 2811 but I am unable to access the console. Other routers connect okay. I was told that the problem could be with the baud rate but I have checked every option in Hyperterm and it is not working. Help!!

9 Replies 9

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Assuming the console port isn't defective on the 2811, besides baud rate, other RS232 parameters need to match, e.g. parity, stop bits, data bits.

I set all that to default. Is there a way I can reset the router to default settings physically?

Also I see a couple of USB ports on the router, are they for some sort of hardware key?

If I remember correctly, the 2811 console speed is initially configured by ROM, and its settings are probably "remembered" in internal flash RAM. Don't know of an easy way to clear/reset such flash physically.

As also answered by a later poster, the USB port only supports USB flash drives, not USB console access.

Any document or link that can help?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nope. The USB is for USB tokens or USB thumb drives.

What are these tokens or thumb drives used for ?

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

If other routers connect ok, why dont you just telnet to the router in question, and see what line con 0 reads?

Just a thought...

Thanks!! if I had the telnet access I would have tried that in the very first place :-)

Question, if the admin policy restricts your access to telnet to the machine, then maybe you should check with your admin about console access.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card