Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel problem

NAVIN PARWAL
Level 2
Level 2

Folks,

I have 2 6500s and I am trying to bring up etherchannel between the two using one copper link and one fiber link, but the ether channel would not come up. Any ideas?

11 Replies 11

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

is copper link 10/100 or GIG?

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

In order to etherchannel multiple ports they must be identical.. Try etherchanneling 2 fiber links or 2 copper links. Do not mix the types....

As Pciaccio said, they can not be mixed.

From the config guide:

Configure all LAN ports in an EtherChannel to operate at the same speed and in the same duplex mode.

See this link for other restrictions.

http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/channel.html#wp1020420

HTH

Reza

You can mix fibre and copper to create an etherchannel, done it many times myself using fibre links on supervisors and copper on gig modules.

However as you say the speed and duplex must be the same so if you do mix fibre and copper they must run at the same speed.

Jon

They could work, paste the output of:

sh etherchannel summary

sh int status

Jon,

Many thanks for the response. I will surely rate this post, would you have the config of the etherchannel by any chance. I would appreciate if you could please post it.

Thanks

int gx/y (fibre port)

switchport

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

channel-group z mode active

!

int gz/y (copper port)

switchport

switchport mode trunk

channel-group z mode active

!

int portchannel z

switchport

switchport mode trunk

As mentioned by others, it is necessary that the speed and duplex is the same.

To the above you can then add things like e.g. allowed VLAN, if you do not want all VLANs allowed on the trunk.

HTH

Is this a working config? cause I did not same thing and the etherchannel did not come up, unfortuanetly I do not have access to the gear right now.

I think I need to specify the media-type rk45 command under the fiber port?

Does anyone have a working config?

It's the way to do it.

No, you do not have to specify RJ45 on the fibre port. Why would you want to do that?

HTH

Hello Navin,

the biggest difference between fiber based GE ports and RJ-45 GE ports is that the first ones run at 1000 Mbps full duplex fixed.

So my suggestion for copper based GE is to use:

int gx/y

speed 1000

duplex full

this should make the copper based ports similar to fiber ports at OSI Layer1.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

if you will do a show port capability on the two ports you are looking to channel you may see where they are not compatible. in newer versions of code I have seen where when you enter the commands it will tell you they are not compatible (not necessarily what is not but)...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card