cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ANM_AV License Problem

zac.quinn
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to import a pair of ACE modules into ANM 2.1. The first module has imported OK but I get an error message stating 'This operation requires new license for ANM_AV' when trying to import the 2nd module.

Both ACE modules (v2.1) have ACE_VIRT_20 licences and the ANM server has ANM_AD, ANM_server and ANM_AV_20 licences. When I look in ANM at the Licence compliance I see

Type AD Total 5 Used 1

Type AV_20 Total 1 Used 1

Type ANM_Server Total 1 Used 1

The modules are currently running Admin context + 2 others with Fault tolerance on all 3.

Any ideas what license I'm missing or what could be causing this?

TIA

Zac

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Zac,

ANM checks against the licensed Virtual Context count on each ACE, not the in use count. This is to protect against you importing an ACE, getting into production, then the night of change control adding a new Virtual Context (number 6) you get a failure.

Thus if you have the ACE-VIRT-020 license on the ACE, to manage that ACE you must have an available ANM-AV-020 installed on the managing ANM. Even if that ACE to be managed has 5 or fewer defined VCs.

BTW..if at *any* time you get stuck in an operational bind due to ANM licensing, go to www.cisco.com/go/licensing, select the first link for evaluation licenses, and from there select to get evaluation license PAK for ANM. This will allow you to install the evaluation license that is *unlimited* for 90 days. Hopefully that is plenty of time to order the additional licensing you need for production operations.

Cheers,

David K.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

sadbulali
Level 4
Level 4

The error message you are seeing normally indicates that the ACE you are trying to import is using more contexts than the amount allowed by the ANM_AV license

The ANM_AV license needed doesn't depend on the amount of contexts currently in use

by the ACE but the number allowed by the ACE license. You can check this value with the "ACE# show license status" command.

Some times there may be chance for license mismatch between the ACE and the ANM.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/application_networking_manager/2.1/user/guide/UG_admin.html#wp1126639

Sorry for the delay but been on holiday.

I've checked again on the ACE modules and they are both licenced for 20 Contexts and the ANM server is also. As there are only two contexts plus the admin I don't understand why I'm getting this error. Looks like a TAC case to me.

Regards,

Zac

Zac,

ANM checks against the licensed Virtual Context count on each ACE, not the in use count. This is to protect against you importing an ACE, getting into production, then the night of change control adding a new Virtual Context (number 6) you get a failure.

Thus if you have the ACE-VIRT-020 license on the ACE, to manage that ACE you must have an available ANM-AV-020 installed on the managing ANM. Even if that ACE to be managed has 5 or fewer defined VCs.

BTW..if at *any* time you get stuck in an operational bind due to ANM licensing, go to www.cisco.com/go/licensing, select the first link for evaluation licenses, and from there select to get evaluation license PAK for ANM. This will allow you to install the evaluation license that is *unlimited* for 90 days. Hopefully that is plenty of time to order the additional licensing you need for production operations.

Cheers,

David K.

Thanks David,

Just to clarify, what you're saying is I need an ANM-AV-20 licence per ACE module with an ACE-VIRT-20 licence?

Zac

Exactly correct.

For each ACE with ACE-VIRT-020 ANM needs qty 1 of ANM-AV-020.

Same for 050, 100, 250.

Cheers,

David K.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: