Views
Helpful
Replies

Security Message When using MultiServer LMS installation

Paul Williams
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have Cisco LMS installed across two servers,when I log into the primary server all is well, until I click on anything in the portal view that resides on the other server...at this point I get a "The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority" message.

I've looked until I am blue in the face, but cannot see why this is happening - any ideas?

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Because by default LMS uses self-signed certificates which are not trusted by your browser. In order to get around this, simply accept the server's certificate as trusted in your browser. Of course, it's not necessary that you do this. You can always acknowledge that you know the cert is not signed by a trusted authority each time you are prompted (i.e. you're saying you trust yourself).

Thats what we are doing at the moment -but we are soon to roll out to slightly less technical staff and don't want them to call foul every time they have to do this.

In terms of acceptingthe certificate then it is never offered. When we installed in the first instance the primary server offered and we accepted - however the second server never gives us the option to download it.

If you want, the server's certificate is found under NMSROOT/MDC/Apache/conf/ssl. The file is server.crt. You can install this file directly into your clients' browsers to avoid this problem on your production rollout.

The alternative is to purchase a CA-signed certificate from a company such as Thawte or Verisign.