Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between CP-PWR-CUBE and CP-PWR-CUBE-3 for 7941G

sabb010101
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Anybody know if an older CP-PWR-CUBE will fit and work with a 7941G ?

Cisco recommends the CP-PWR-CUBE-3 in the user guide but the specs seem to be exactly the same.

I just want to know whether I can just buy the cheaper CP-PWR-CUBE for my 7941G and I won't have any issues using it.

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Alan,

Because the 7941G supports Cisco pre-standard power the CP-PWR-CUBE will work just fine :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob

I have read on the web that CP-PWR-CUBE-3 has a longer plug to fit the 7941G, 7961G and 7971G and hence my question about whether the older CP-PWR-CUBE will fit and power up the 7941G.

I understand that the CP-PWR-CUBE-3 is backward comptible with older phones but is the CP-PWR-CUBE forward compatible with the newer phones ?

Thanks

Hi Alan,

The plug is a little longer because on the newer IP Phone models like the 7941G there is an additional piece of plastic (in a semi circle) around the power plug input on the base of the phone. This can be easily trimmed with a pair of side-cutters and you are good to go :) It depends on how much $$ you will be saving, if you want to go this direction. A 30 second trim job and "Bob's your Uncle"!

Hope this helps! Cheers!

Rob

davidlu766
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, there is a difference. If you have a 79x1, you MUST have a CP-PWR-CUBE-3 or a POE switch, otherwise it just won't work. The CP-PWR-CUBE is ONLY for the 7940G and the 7960G. If you use it with the 7941G or 7961G it won't fit.

Hope that helps.

Hi Alan,

David is right here (my bad!!) +5 points for this David :)

I just took my own advice and tried a CP-PWR-CUBE with a 7941G. Even with the modifications I suggested it did not fit properly and would be unusable. I could have sworn we did this b4 but.......

Anyways, sorry for leading you down the wrong path here, I should have tested before I responded.

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks a lot David and Rob for your prompt replies.

Now I know for sure that I should not waste my money on a CP_PWR_CUBE !

Hi Alan,

You are most welcome my friend! Sorry for the "bum" info.

Cheers!

Rob

There are some companies out there making 3rd party universal power supplies for Cisco CP-79XX Series desktop phones.  These folks offer a backward compatible version of the Cisco CP-PWR-CUBE3.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: