CCNA Cert Path

Unanswered Question
Jul 27th, 2009

This may seem like a silly question but....

Let's say you take and pass ICND1. Now, you start studying for ICND2... does the ICND2 exam cover the 2nd part of the CCNA exam or does it cover everything from ICND1 as well? Meaning when I'm studying for ICND2, do I need to re-study everything from ICND1 as well or can I just focus on ICND2?

In addition, once you pass ICND2, you are officially CCNA certified correct? Or is there another exam to take?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
lyranvolcrane Mon, 07/27/2009 - 13:32

In order to obtain your CCNA, you have to pass both ICND1 and ICND2, or take the CCNA composite test. ICND2 does have some material that references, and even in some cases overlaps ICND1, but they are two totally different tests in a lot of aspects.

ICND1 in my opinion is a beginners guide that is just a bit more technical and cisco-focused than certifications like Network+.

ICND2 digs deeper into knowledge gained concerning routing and switching, and starts to detail the finer details of how routers and switches actually interact with various routing protocols and switching protocols.

It is definitely a good idea to start with ICND1 first, then ICND2, unless you feel comfortable with taking the whole composite. As I understand the composite takes a bit of everything from each course.

sking2009 Mon, 07/27/2009 - 14:34

I have Network+ 2009 edition but yeah I can definitely tell just from studying that ICND1 is a very different exam.

Thanks for the info; I'm definitely going for ICND1 first as I am in no way ready for the CCNA composite.

pipemajor Thu, 07/30/2009 - 05:51

This is the track I'm currently on. I passed the ICND1 exam a couple of weeks ago and am about 25% of the way through the ICND2 material.

I use the Wendell Odom Cisco Press Exam Certification Guide texts simply because it is organized into two volumes - one specifically for ICND1 and the other for ICND2. Other resources are a single volume which the author states covers both ICND1 and ICND2 but they are fuzzy on sorting out which is which. I highly recommend the Cisco Press resource if you are pursuing the 2 exam approach.

Regarding the ICND2, I'm sure there is "some" overlap on both exams. You can expect a lot of subnetting questions for each exam. The ICND1 is a bit broader, theory and fundamentals oriented with OSI model stuff while the ICND2 will look at each of these topics and dive into greater detail. Example: ICND1 will explain the virtues of VLANs and STP. ICND2 gets into the nuts and bolts of configuring and troubleshooting of these. Same for the routing and WAN protocols.

Yes, you pass ICND1 then ICND2 you are then CCNA. You won't have to take another exam until it's time to recertify in 3 years. The composite CCNA exam covers BOTH the ICND1 and ICND2 material.

Good luck - I have about 30-40 days of studying then will write my ICND2.

One word of advice - master the ICND1 material. You will need a solid understanding of the fundamentals to assist you through the more advanced topics in your quest for Cisco knowledge.

sking2009 Thu, 07/30/2009 - 07:38

Thank you pipemajor. I'm using the Odom books as well. I have to say, although I've only attained A+ and Network+, I've read the Mac OS X 10.5 cert book, as well as the MCDST and .... forget what it is but the Vista flavor of MCDST; the Cisco Press book for ICND1 by Odom is outstanding as far as readability goes. I love the way it's broken down into effective topics in a logical, building-on-the-previous topic kind of way, as well as all the Flintstone references. :) Makes it alot more interesting working through the really dry stuff. :)

Actions

This Discussion