cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I would like to mirror from pos interface to ethernet interface.

syjeon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi..

I wonder if It is possible for monitoring from pos to ethernet interface destination.

We have a C7600 Chassis, included pos interface. and We gather the packet from pos and then forward to analysis device.

Is it possible? or not would you like to suggest good solution? except TAP device. :)

Thank in advnace...

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sung,

this should not be possible.

Depending on your needs and your hardware you can get enough information from enabling netflow on the pos interface.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Sung,

I have never used it and I don't know if it supported on your platform but have a look at this one:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/security/configuration/guide/sec_ip_traff_export.html

It's called IP Traffic Export and it might perhaps be useful.

Best regards,

Peter

Hello Peter,

this embedded packet capture feature should be supported only on ISR software based routers 2800 and 3800.

It should not be supported even on C7200 VXR.

But none of them should be able to handle an STM-1 or more faster link just for normal routing so there is no chance to have them able to capture traffic and to send it inside ethernet frames to a connected sniffer.

So only an hardware instrument with two POS ports for monitoring can do this job.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe,

Thank you for your advice. I was not quite sure about this feature. You are right - according to the Feature Navigator, the IP Traffic Export is support on routers up to and including 7200 series but not the 7600 series.

Thank you again. How long are you in networking industry? Your knowledge is vast indeed. Hat off!

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco