Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT on ASA or Router with private WAN IPs

syedraheel
Level 1
Level 1

I have this setup

192.168.1.X-----L2SWITCH-----(192.168.1.1)ASA140---------ROUTERWAN1(10.254.1.1)------ p2p serial-----(10.254.1.2)ROUTERWAN2-----ASA140----192.168.2.X

Now there is an NMS server and other users behind site 1 which needs to be accessed from site 2, I wanna know that if no public wan IP is given from the WAN serial link provider then which IP should I use on the link between ASA outside and router interface.

Is there a need to do NAT if there is no Internet connectivty involved?. If yes where should i use NAT on the ASA or the router.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You would not need to use NAT. You can if you want or your security policy dictates it though. From site 1 to site 2 you would use real IP's to access resources.

Hope that helps.

Thanks collin, btw If for any reason I do need to NAT then I would do it on the router rite?

Really doesn't matter where you do it. I like NAT on an ASA better, so I personally would do it there, but it's up to you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card