cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router boots into router(boot)> mode? How to solve?

vinothlb1
Level 1
Level 1

I m having 2500 series router. when i boot router automatically get into router(boot)> . how to solve?

6 Replies 6

jfraasch
Level 3
Level 3

Sounds like its just stuck in with a bad IOS image.

Start at step 3 of the following link and it should walk you through where to go next.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_tech_note09186a008009464c.shtml

James

Best of luck!

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The 2500 series have a built-in IOS sometimes called RxBoot or BootROM. You appear to be starting that IOS instead of the full version stored in the FLASH. That happens in two scenarios:

1.) The configuration register ends with '1', like 0x2101 or 0x2141. The solution here is quite simple - set the register to 0x2142 to make sure that the router shall boot the IOS from flash and to ignore any stored configuration. Then reboot and see if the router boots up properly. If yes, check the stored configuration for any configuration errors and set the configuration register to the default value 0x2102.

2.) It might be that your IOS in the FLASH is damaged or erased. In that case, you will need to restore it.

Best regards,

Peter

Sorry same thing happening with me also..

This is my router information.

[code]

Router(boot)#show version

Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200P-KBOOT-M), Version 12.4(4)XD5, RELEASE)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2006 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Tue 19-Dec-06 16:07 by alnguyen

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(12.2r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 1 minutes

System returned to ROM by reload at 18:27:51 UTC Sat May 12 2001

System image file is "bootflash:c7200p-kboot-mz.124-4.XD5.bin"

Last reload reason: Reload Command

Cisco 7206VXR (NPE-G2) processor (revision A) with 917504K/65536K bytes of memo.

Processor board ID 18284544

MPC7448 CPU at 1666Mhz, Implementation 0, Rev 2.2

6 slot VXR midplane, Version 2.0

Last reset from power-on

PCI bus mb1 (Slots 1, 3 and 5) has a capacity of 600 bandwidth points.

Current configuration on bus mb1 has a total of 0 bandwidth points.

This configuration is within the PCI bus capacity and is supported.

PCI bus mb2 (Slots 2, 4 and 6) has a capacity of 600 bandwidth points.

Current configuration on bus mb2 has a total of 0 bandwidth points.

This configuration is within the PCI bus capacity and is supported.

Please refer to the following document "Cisco 7200 Series Port Adaptor

Hardware Configuration Guidelines" on Cisco.com <http://www.cisco.com>

for c7200 bandwidth points oversubscription and usage guidelines.

1 FastEthernet interface

3 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

2045K bytes of NVRAM.

250368K bytes of ATA PCMCIA card at slot 2 (Sector size 512 bytes).

65536K bytes of Flash internal SIMM (Sector size 512K).

Configuration register is 0x2102

Router(boot)#show version | inc im

Router uptime is 15 minutes

System image file is "bootflash:c7200p-kboot-mz.124-4.XD5.bin"

Router(boot)#show ver | inc NPE  

Cisco 7206VXR (NPE-G2) processor (revision A) with 917504K/65536K bytes of memo.

Router(boot)#

[/code]

After ever time when i reboot the router i am on Router(boot)# mode. so where i am missing.

Thanks,

The output that you posted shows that the config register is 0x2102, which is correct. So that is not the problem.

The output that you posted shows that it is attempting to boot "bootflash:c7200p-kboot-mz.124-4.XD5.bin" Can you verify what is in bootflash on this router?

It might be helpful if you would reboot again, and post all the messages sent to the console during the boot process. This might point more clearly at the problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

The 7200's have 2 images , one is a bootloader image which is what yours is loading for some reason .  See if the normal image is in flash and point your boot statement to that image.  If not then you will have to load a new image into flash preferrably one that is close to the bootloader image.

Thank you so much for nice suggestion now i download valid cisco image for 7206VXR (NPE-G2) & it seems like work.

But i can't point any thing & it didn't show any error.

Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card